Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    Trees and shrubbery were thinned/removed from both sides of the levee along Garden Hwy from Northgate to I-5, recently (Very ugly).

As I recall, many years ago there was a proposal to clear/remove greenery from levees' by the Army Corps of Engineers stopped many years ago. That proposal was rejected. Maybe its back?? More likely this is an attempt to reduce Homeless camping/fires along the American River Parkway. IMHO, all it has done is concentrate the campers from the lower river to where the Hwy. 160 bridge crosses the river.
    The veg clearing has nothing to do with homeless, it is part of the latest flood control work.

I can confirm Greg's report. I caught one and lost a couple more at the Log Hole around noon. The flows are low. I used an intermediate shooting head and fished across from just a few spin fishers. It was rather nice. Seemed like all of us payed attention to each other and after several hours of fishing none of us had snagged someone else's line. That will change when it gets crowded.
    Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Caught some shad fishing mid-day in the lower river. Nathan Stalioraitis was already fishing for several hours before I showed up and had not caught any. I got more than a handful all on a Lipstick. Nate caught a couple by the time I left. It’s still not red hot but it’s still early and they are just trickling in. Because of the low flow the shad will be hanging in the lower river just like last year.

Be nice if the flows came up some. Tired of low flows at the beginning of shad season.

Big water years have been very good for shad. They bring more shad into the American and spreads them out. Plus there’s more fishable water for swinging. The last big water year I caught over 2800 shad!
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 04-19-2022 at 05:21 AM.

Yes indeed!

Nice fishing with you Jeff, I give fly fisherman their space which was why i was all the way at the end of the hole haha, I appreciate giving me your spot after you left. Finished the day with three to the net and a few lost.

Fished this morning with Mark Chops Koehn and his friend who was learning to fly fish. His friend got one but it broke off. The bite was very sporadic and I LDRed quite a few but landed 4 before I broke my Method 6119. It’s only my second day of catching shad and I’m down one rod.

Two friends of mine who guide the river were in a jet boat and got 40 today.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........