Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223

Thread: Jeff’s 2022 AR Shad Reports

Floated today and only got a handful. I think it’s almost the end for me.

Floated today and only got 1 so I'm calling it for this run. i fished 94 out of the last 95 days (floating 2/3 of those days) and landed almost 1200 shad. The run started out slow and I fished the lower river for a couple of weeks. Once the shad showed up in the upper river I fish there exclusively. Because the flows stayed low for the majority of the run a lot of the shad stayed in the lower and mid rivers and the upper river didn't have the usual big numbers. Once the flow got bumped up the upper river fishing improved. I had a little bonus today, i got an 18" striper swinging a Holo Ronald! Let's hope that we have big water next year!

Thanks Jeff.......

Many of us really enjoy the "Annual Jeff C daily Shad report".
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I have never floated the river. Are you able to actually see large numbers of whatever fish you are pursuing? I figure the AR isn’t that deep in most areas. Looking at Google Earth it looks like that anyway.
    If you are putting in at Hazel how do you get back to your vehicle everyday?

This year I only saw a few pods of shad. The river is normally gin clear so you can see a lot and I’ve seen shad, steelhead, salmon, stripers and a lot of suckers. I arrange for a shuttle that I meet at the take out and we drive my car and boat to the put in. The shuttle driver takes my car and trailer back to the take out.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcdhuibh View Post
    I have never floated the river. Are you able to actually see large numbers of whatever fish you are pursuing? I figure the AR isn’t that deep in most areas. Looking at Google Earth it looks like that anyway.
    If you are putting in at Hazel how do you get back to your vehicle everyday?
    I have floated it a lot with Captain Andy Guibord over the past 30 years.

We go out early and fish hard for Stripers with fast sinking lines and different color Clousers.

Mid-day if you stand in the boat with a hat and good Polarized sun glasses you can usually see some fish.

Andy has fished the lower American river from a "boat" for Stripers for more years than anyone I know.

I fished the river for 60 years and work in fishing tackle stores near the river for 50 years.

That makes me kind of the "Historian" for the river. Everyone else, who knows what I know, has passed away.

Weekly, I think that I will call one of the old timers to ask a question but they are all gone now. Sad.....

Hard to believe but until the last ~30 years almost no one 'fly fished' from boats in the lower American river.

People trolled for salmon in the Fall from the mouth up stream to about Hwy 80, then from Howe Ave down to State college.

Some trolled under the Fair Oaks Bridge.

You can get a shuttle from "Skeeter", Joe Shirshac's daughter. 916/813-4838

Paul Thick @ Kiene's does some shuttles. 916/273-0647

Andy Guibord @ Kiene's does some shuttles. 916/849-1529
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........