Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Jeff’s 2022 AR Shad Reports

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1DFCC9A9-998F-4E67-B0CD-C914FC217195.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	696.7 KB 
ID:	18209

Thanks for all the updates, Jeff! It’s actually been a decent season for me, and better than normal on the surface. Also picked up the weird looking shad above last week - it ate a shad fly, so it must be a shad, right?

Also, how do you tell a female bald Eagle from a male? Honestly asking.

Females are usually bigger. Solo float today in the heat. The hole that has been working the past few weeks went dead. I ended up in double digits fishing a few spots a little down river.
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 07-16-2022 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
    Floated again today with Earle. We got into double digits swinging Holo Ronalds. The bobber guys came and went because the ball of shad in the slack water moved. Italian John stuck it out and got some casting way out to where we were hooking them. Our fishing got interrupted when a paddle boarder lost her board and was yelling for help. We rowed up and and found her on the the edge of the bank with her small dog. We told her to bushwhack up and wait. I called 911 and the Park Rangers responded retrieving her board down by the Olive Avenue access and drove up and picked her up. We also saw a bobber guy hook a Cormorant (unintentionally) and landed her after a good fight and released it. Another thing we saw was a big female bald eagle that landed on an island and hung out for about 30 minutes before flying off. A typical Summer day on the American!
    Yeah I've been seeing that eagle just up from Easy-E in the tree where the phainopepla perches in the spring... Could be a young female from this year's Folsom Lake fledglings? or the father? The one I saw last Sunday did not seem big enough to be an adult female... Really cool to see one though... The last regular we had on the AR was around Hazel Ave about 9 years ago...

Solo float today. It was dead slow in the big hole so I headed down river. The spot I did well at yesterday only produced a few small males. Stopped at the next spot and got into double digits swinging. All were spent fish.

Floated again today and it was slow at the big hole. Angel on his Hobie and float tuber Tom were were working the slack water getting a few. I headed down river and Clifford Chun was wading swinging with his two handed rod. He told me he had gotten one near the bottom of the run. I got double digits swinging a Holo Ronald but did get a few nymphing. The shad were way out in the middle of the run it’s hard to keep your fly in the zone if you’re wading.

Floated in the mini and went straight to the run that has been good for me the past few days. It was slow and I had to move around to find the bucket. When I did find it it was double digits swinging a Skagit and Scandi head with a 15 ft sink tip and poly leader.

Floated today and there was no one else fishing except for float tuber Tom. He was getting them in the slack water in the big hole. I went down river and had a tough time finding them. I rowed all over the place but got into double digits but only about half the number I was getting earlier this week. Looks like it is really winding down!

I broke the thousand mark for this run yesterday. Floated with a Earle this afternoon. We got into double digits with Earle out fishing me 2:1. I guess I used all of my mojo up during the week!

Must have been a bazillion kayaks on the water today. I have volunteered for the race in the past.
    That’s a lot of catching Jeff. Somehow that doesn’t sound right, fishing

50+ years ago almost no one was seen floating on the water in the lower American river.

Today it is a very common sight...........

Floating the lower American river for the first time in a drift boat is an amazing adventure.

Getting "on" the water instead of "wading in the water" is a huge leap for a fly fisher.

It started 50+ years ago with round float tubes in small bodies of water for bass or trout.

Then we moved to small simple boats called "Prams".........it opened up a new World for us.

I think the canoe rentals and raft rentals in the 1970s? were the first water craft on our little river.

Now at 77 I am almost always in a boat when fishing........I love all boats.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........