Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Jeff’s 2022 AR Shad Reports

Looks like this run is on it’s last legs. Earle and I floated the upper river for 5 hours and only got 9. They were balled up in one hole in some very slack water. Gear guys were getting them reeling their jigs through the ball. The water was too slow to swing or nymph.

Earle and I floated today and it was slow but we did some work and got into double digits. Float tuber Tom was working the softer water and getting some. Italian John was on the bank entertaining anyone within ear shot. It was a lot slower today for the bankies and boats. There was another drift boat, jet boat and raft also on the water today. Didn’t see any of them hook up except for the jet boat that got a couple.

Floated again today with Earle. It was a little busy with two other drift boats but we all found spots to fish. Mary Ellen was with her grand nephew and Angel was in his new Willie. Angel was getting them using a center pin rod. Mary Ellen told me that float tuber Tom was out earlier yanking them left and right. Earle and I ended up with double digits.

Earle took off from work so we floated again today. When we got down to the spot, float tuber Tom and Pablo in his jet boat were working the softer water. As usual Tom was hooking them left and right. Earle and I had to do some work but got into double digits. When a big striper followed Earle’s shad to the boat I put on a sucker minnow Clouser and 2 casts later I got a 30” striper. A gal came floating down in a kayak that had no business being out on the water. Italian John tried to get her to stay in hole but she headed down to Sunrise. She went into the Steelhead Riffle island side channel and never came out at the bottom. Italian John called the Fire Department and the response was massive. The Fire helicopter, two Fire jet boats and one engine unit showed up and got her out of the side channel.

Didn’t fish yesterday because I had a dentist appointment. Floated today and the shad were in softer water. Got double digits mostly nymphing but did get several swinging. There were 6 bobber guys but everyone caught fish so it was a good time for all.

Floated yesterday and it was very slow. I only got 3 nymphing because a couple of bobber guys were fishing the area that had shad holding. Float tuber Tom was already fishing and he caught some moving around. They were balled up an will be exiting soon. One of the fish I landed was still full of eggs but those fresh fish will still leave.

Thanks Jeff....

On a normal year when is the Shad over?

Some friends have caught a few Stripers lately.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I got out Friday morning and evening, did well, don’t think I was quite deep enough. Added bb shot helped but couldn’t get them to stay on. I was using 5’ lead core. Long sink tips like 10’ of T14 don’t do well with Delta 65’ belle’s. I like those lines due to the mending abilities.
    Jeff, did you see the person who flipped their kayak, upper river Thurs. noonish? It passed the area at upper Sunrise island and disappeared into the rapids across river. Made me really uncomfortable wondering about whoever was on it and safe. 5,000+ cfs
    Last edited by cmcdhuibh; 07-09-2022 at 09:13 AM.

The shad are really getting ready to exit. Floated with Earle and we got into double digits with Earle doing most of the heavy lifting. Even Italian John left because it was so slow. Shad make their own schedule on when they leave but when they ball up it’s a sure sign that they are going to exit left. I’ve caught them into August on some years when we had more water.

Yes, I did see the overturned kayak floating down river and was concerned but no one was reported missing. Watched a grass fire today progress and the Fire Department helicopter saved the day with a few water drops.

Floated again today with Earle. We got into double digits swinging Holo Ronalds. The bobber guys came and went because the ball of shad in the slack water moved. Italian John stuck it out and got some casting way out to where we were hooking them. Our fishing got interrupted when a paddle boarder lost her board and was yelling for help. We rowed up and and found her on the the edge of the bank with her small dog. We told her to bushwhack up and wait. I called 911 and the Park Rangers responded retrieving her board down by the Olive Avenue access and drove up and picked her up. We also saw a bobber guy hook a Cormorant (unintentionally) and landed her after a good fight and released it. Another thing we saw was a big female bald eagle that landed on an island and hung out for about 30 minutes before flying off. A typical Summer day on the American!
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 07-10-2022 at 05:58 PM.