Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff’s 2022 AR Shad Reports

Floated again today and it was fairly busy. There were 2 drift boats ahead of me and a couple of fly anglers wading. Only got a handful all morning but got to the sweet spot in the big hole around lunch and thinks picked up. Got double digits including a 20” hen. At one point I caught 6 in 6 casts!

Floated again today. There were 3 boats ahead of me, Andy with clients, John with clients and Greg in his power drifter. The flow increase cause the shad to re-arrange and the run I’ve been fishing didn’t produce any fish. Andy’s client were slaying ‘em nymphing. I got into double digits swinging but Andy’s clients probably landed 4 times what caught.
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 06-16-2022 at 06:26 AM.

There were 4 trailers at the take out and another one at the put in this morning and I thought it was going to be busy. There were only three boats in front of me (Andy with clients, Bill Quinn with a friend and Greg in his power drifter). There was also a float tuber in the run. Like yesterday it was dead in the run. I only LDRed 2 fish in the first 2.5 hours. Andy’s clients were swinging and picking up fish occasionally but when they switched to nymphing they started to hook up on a regular basis. Bill’s friend was a shad newbie and had not hooked one. When Andy left the hole Bill started nymphing the drift Andy was doing. Turns out he only had my shad flies so I gave him a couple of Andy’s Perdigons that I tied and that did the tirick for his friend. I ended up getting double digits swinging a Holo Ronald. There are not a lot of shad anywhere except for one deep hole but I did get a few in another run a little further down river.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
    There were 4 trailers at the take out and another one at the put in this morning and I thought it was going to be busy. There were only three boats in front of me (Andy with clients, Bill Quinn with a friend and Greg in his power drifter). There was also a float tuber in the run. Like yesterday it was dead in the run. I only LDRed 2 fish in the first 2.5 hours. Andy’s clients were swinging and picking up fish occasionally but when they switched to nymphing they started to hook up on a regular basis. Bill’s friend was a shad newbie and had not hooked one. When Andy left the hole Bill started nymphing the drift Andy was doing. Turns out he only had my shad flies so I gave him a couple of Andy’s Perdigons that I tied and that did the tirick for his friend. I ended up getting double digits swinging a Holo Ronald. There are not a lot of shad anywhere except for one deep hole but I did get a few in another run a little further down river.
    Jeff thank you for being so generous and gracious with your flies and knowledge of the river. My friend ended up with five shad. It would have been 0 without your help. Thank you very much

You’re welcome Bill! I’m glad I was able to help!

I wonder what changed the run this year? I looked at some notes and the shad were in large #’s at upper sunrise in may a few years ago. I think it was off in that area last year to. I don’t really chase them in the lower river. I don’t trust those areas.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	638A44F6-39A4-42AE-9409-F559C73B24EE.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	273.7 KB 
ID:	18104

Found this on my computer don’t know the people it, it’s not very clear. Probably from a few years back.
    Last edited by cmcdhuibh; 06-16-2022 at 08:20 PM.

Every year is different but I suspect that because of the low flows that we had a lot of shad by passed the American. Plus during low flow years they will stay down in the lower and mid river and never make it to the upper river. They are just looking for a good place to spawn with the right current, water temp and depth.

Floated today and it was dead slow. The only other boats were a raft and a jet boat and no one wading. I didn’t see them hook anything but I got into double digits swinging because I was anchored at the only location that has been producing.

Went to check out the lower river this morning. There was a fly angler in the sweet spot in the hole and I saw him land a couple. Earle and I floated for a few hours this afternoon. There were a couple of drift boats and a jet boat. We got into double digits swinging deep. We were both swinging Holo Ronlds.
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 06-19-2022 at 07:33 AM.

Earle and I floated the upper river again and it was dead slow. We only got 8 to the boat in 5 hours of fishing. I’m afraid the run is winding down. Greg got a few nymphing in his power drifter below us. We did see a gear guy get a 4-5 lb striper using a fluke.