Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Jeff’s 2022 AR Shad Reports

Floated again today. Tom was in his float tube slaying ‘em. Mary Ellen and a gentleman stopped for a bit and got some nymphing. I ended up in double digits but it took 6 hours of baking in the sun. Most were caught swinging but I did get a few nymphing another run down river.

Spent another 6 hours roasting in my aluminum frying pan on the river. Shared a hole with Ben Thompson and his client Summer all morning. Summer knew how to fly fish and she caught shad and stripers. It was funny to listen to their friendly ribbing. Ended up in double digits swinging and nymphing. I thought the bump in flow was going to scatter the fish but they didn’t move too far.

Floated this afternoon with Earle in the heat. No other boats and only 3 bank anglers. It was slow but we got into double digits. Earle out fished me 2:1. He hadn’t fish all week so I think he had the mojo!

Floated again with Earle and we had to put in a lot of work to get into double digits. Float tuber Tom and a couple of jet sleds were the only ones out with us. I hope we get a couple more weeks before they are outta here!

Sat in the frying pan for 6 hours in the blazing sun. The river looks a lot different with bump in flow. It’s deeper and ripping in some areas. Got into double digits using LC-13. Garrett Smith was out in the jet Jon boat he just got.

Another 6 hour slow roast in the mini today. The bump in flow to almost 5K cfs has caused the fish to scatter. Andy was out with a client in his jet Lowe. They got some nymphing. I tried several other spots that are now swingable but sadly there were no fish around. I wish we had these flows a month ago. Ended up in double digits throwing 25 ft of LC-13 with a Holo Ronald and a Purple Murple.

Floated in the mini and the temp was a low simmer and not the broil we have for a week. There were two drift boats and a raft angler. It was slow in the morning but I had a little run mid day. Matt in the raft said it was like he was watching a fishing show. Ended up in double digits swinging 25 ft of LC-13 and a 15 ft Type 8 sink tip and indo nymphing.

Are you fishing the mostly upper river now or floating great lengths of it?

Floated the upper river again today. It was slow in the morning but there was a flurry mid-day. Got into double digits swinging and nymphing. There was a jet boat in a run below me and 3 gear guys fishing from the bank. The gear guys were getting a few in the slack water using bobbers or casting out and reeling in. The delta breeze sure felt good and it kept the temps below 90.

Floated again today and it was dead for the first 3 hours without a single bump. Float tuber Ton was fishing the side channel and he was hooking them left and right. Elric and his friend were in their jet sleds fishing another run below. The rod holder hooked my first fish as I was trying to eat lunch. I then got into a streak nymphing ending up in double digits.
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 07-02-2022 at 06:00 AM.