Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff’s 2022 AR Shad Reports

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
    Fished Lower, Mid and Upper river spots this morning and only got one hen that hit my fly when I was stripping it in. Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good.
    I wonder if it was due to the dramatic temperature drop today. At least it was't a skunk day. I have been sick since Monday and jonesing to go out.
    ..."I'd rather be fishing..."

Peter V

I don’t know why it’s so slow but the cool temps sure doesn’t help. It been a weird run with no big schools so there a very few bucket sessions where you get them on every cast or every other cast. It was great when we had big water years. Earle and I had one day where we got over a hundred between us in an hour and a half from his boat anchored in one spot.

Default Thats Why They Call it Fishing & Not Catching

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
    I donÂ’t know why itÂ’s so slow but the cool temps sure doesnÂ’t help. It been a weird run with no big schools so there a very few bucket sessions where you get them on every cast or every other cast. It was great when we big water years. Earle and I had one day where we got over a hundred between us in an hour and a half from his boat anchored in one spot.
    even for the Poor ManS Tarpon ��

It appears, based on recent YouTube videos, that the gear guys on the Sacramento R are catching Shad pretty good. In addition, per your recent posts, you indicate that the bobber fly fishing guides are doing very well on the AR.

I know you are trying to resist but if you want to catch Shad on the AR, you may have to go over to the dark side & start watching the bobber. If that is not acceptable, you will need to go upstream on the Sac R to get them on the swing. It may not be worth it bc you will need to drive more than 10 minutes to your favorite Shad hole ����. Good luck.

Fin

40 years ago we use to drive up to the nice gravel bars in Princeton, CA, above Colusa for Shad.

But if they were not there it was not good.

People up that way use a jet boat to find the schools.

"All the Shad" are probably up there somewhere.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I’ll just suffer fishing 10 minutes from my house. This morning was a little better. Landed 4 and LDRed 4 swinging a new fly I came up with yesterday. I didn’t see another angler as far as I could see in both directions. There was a guy who came down to check on his crawdad trap across from me. He was with his 3-4 year old daughter and she was singing Jingles Bells (I got a chuckle out of that). The DFW survey takers kayaked by and told me that the drift boats were doing well mid river.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1E7538A6-2901-460D-ACFC-3F153979A37C.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	464.8 KB 
ID:	18077  
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 05-27-2022 at 05:35 PM.

Good looking fly..................
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Solo float today in the mini today. I wanted to get those shad I missed yesterday but was surprised to find that the flow went up to 1740 cfs at 7 am so they moved. I worked almost all the way through the run without getting a grab until I got almost to the tail out. Got 6 before they moved and I couldn’t find them again. Got another one a little further down river and that was it. Not many rafters today because the weather was cool and windy.

Floated with a Earle Sloan today and we got into double digits swinging the following flies: Ronald McDonald, Beady Maria, Wet Pinky, Too Sexy and the Sugar Shack. The Ronald caught the most fish.
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 05-30-2022 at 05:34 AM.

Floated again today with Earle. It was a lot slower today but we still got double digits to the boat

Name:	A6860204-8486-4DFA-82B8-0A137D45645F.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	382.5 KB 
ID:	18079  
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 05-31-2022 at 04:46 PM.

Solo float today in the mini. The Northwest wind was a nuisance and pushed my boat all over the place. Got double digits but it was a lot of work. The fish were scattered so it wasn’t very consistent. Saw 3 fly anglers and one gear bobber guy but I didn’t see them hook anything. Here’s a pic of a fat 18” hen! BTW, I measure all of my fish to the fork.

Name:	33718F78-98F6-49AF-9860-F21E52480467.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	740.8 KB 
ID:	18082