Thread: FF Playa Del Carmen/Cancun

Default FF Playa Del Carmen/Cancun

I am looking to go to Playa Del Carmen in the middle of June. I have done some research on FF in Playa and taking ferry to Cozumel. Maybe do a day or two with a guide and a couple of days DIY. Any recommendations on that time of year, places to fish, guides, equipment? Thanks.

Not familiar with Playa DC/Cozumel, but I'm very familiar with Boca Paila/Ascension Bay and it's worth the long drive down there. Pesca Maya does day trips from Cancun airport and while it's a very long day it might be worth it. Not much DIY in the area though.
    https://pescamaya.com/day-trips-for-...ascension-bay/

1) Take the earliest ferry to Cozumel or stay out on the island.

Go for an AM half day or full day of fishing with a skiff guide to the lagoons on the remote north end of the island.

We used Aquarius Fishing Service on Cozumel for 30 years and they have always been good.

https://www.aquariusfishing.com/

2) Stay in Cancun or make a long drive from Playa del Carmen to Cancun and fish the famous huge, shallow, clear Island Blanca.

It has schools of small Permit that do eat small cream colored crab flies.

There are small Tarpon (5 to 20#) too that are in shallow, clear water, with extremely visible sight casting.

Bonefish and Snook are also there.

Flywater Travel in Ashland, Oregon can book you out of Cancun by the day to Isla Blanca.

https://farbank.com/products/fly-wat...el-isla-blanca

When you get in the skiff show the guide your flies and he will usually take it from there.

They will pick one of your flies or use one of theirs and then adjust your leader accordingly.

I would take a 9' #8 line 4 pc fly rod with a good new tropical flats line.

Any fly shop that has annual group trips to the tropical flats will be able to recommend a fly line, leaders and flies.

Andy Guibord at Kiene's Fly Shop has fished all over the tropics with large groups and can help you get geared up.

If you need a "few" flies and some leader for the day most guides can fix you up on the water.

Be sure to have some good polarized glasses with prescription if needed.

Good colors of lenses are amber, light brown and not blue/green/grey.

Casting ability is the biggest separation for good success in the tropical clear flats........ that are always a little windy.

June is good................text, email or call me for more info.

If anyone is interested in a week long tropical flats trip let me know. It is my extreme specialty and first love.

I fished all of the coast of Belize, all of the Mexican Yucatan and Christmas Island over the past 30+ years.

I know some of the best destination, timings and can help you get completely prepared for your adventure.

That is why I moved to Sebastian, Florida......

We are on the Central East Coast on the 100 mile plus Indian River Lagoon near the Sebastian river.

We have Snook, Tarpon, Redfish, Jacks, Bluefish, Ladyfish, Seatrout, etc. 2 miles form our house.

To go for Permit and Bonefish we need to drive 3 hours to Biscayne Bay, Miami, FL. and down to the Keys.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mike.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	17889

Here is my friend Mike with his first baby Tarpon on light tackle spinning.

A few months ago he had a 40# Tarpon on for 4 huge runs and spectacular jumps.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks Wlredband and Bill, great help! David

I've fished both Ascension Bay and the north end of Cozumel. I'd choose to fish Ascension Bay over Cozumel 100% of the time. Yes, it's harder get to, but it is a much more diverse and productive fishery in my opinion. Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Randy B; 04-05-2022 at 12:44 PM.

Randy B is spot on here.....

30 years ago all there was at Playa del Carmen was a ferry dock and some shacks.

Sense then they put in a ton of big fancy all inclusive resorts because the land was cheap.

There is no fishing at Playa del Carmen but after people get booked there they have to do the best and drive a lot.

Either drive down to Ascension Bay or drive north to Cancun and Isla Blanca or our ferry out to Cozumel.

Most of these trips are for the family so fishing is not usually the main focus anyway.

If you every want to go on a serious week long flats trip let me know.

Timing for most tropical saltwater destinations for fly fishing is spring, summer and fall.

In the Winter you can have a cold front come down from the "North Pole" and ruin your entire week.

If you want to go to one of the best all wading places for Bonefish and Trevally I would go to Christmas Island.

https://farbank.com/products/fly-wat...and-outfitters

If you want to go to the best place for baby Tarpon I would go to Isla del Sabalo, Yucatan, MX.

https://farbank.com/products/fly-wat...sla-del-sabalo

For Dorado, Roosters and Sailfish I would go to Loreto, Baja.

See Carl Blackledge on this Forum

For Roosterfish I would go to the East Cape of Baja, MX.

https://farbank.com/products/fly-wat...-de-los-suenos

You need to get a date set with deposit a year out from your trip...................

I work with Flywater Travel in Ashland , Oregon and if you book through me I get a small commission that helps support this Forum.

https://farbank.com/pages/fly-water-travel
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........