Thread: Air head flies

Default Air head flies

Here is another fly tied on the Varivas hooks. This Air Head fly might be the the best Rooster fly ever developed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tan airhead 1.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	17854  

Default Charlies Airhead....

This fly in tan/white and wild olive/white is the ONLY Rooster fly as far as I'm concerned. Caught more Roosters on this fly than all others (altho, I'm sure another person has their own favorite, as well).
    Last edited by Darian; 03-24-2022 at 08:35 PM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I had the same experience with the Airhead fly developed by Charlie Bisharat and produced by Umpqua.

Charlie told me he is now having his flies made by Rainy's Fly Company.

https://www.rainysflies.com/_assets/...ys_New2022.pdf

Fishing out of La Paz on one of Jay's trips I cast lots of different flies at cruising Roosterfish with no results.

They did not even moved toward the other flies or spook from them the first day.

After some discussion at dinner veteran Baja angler Jim Christensen gave me a medium size Airhead in tan over white.

The next day I started catching Roosterfish on that Airhead that I cast and retrieve from a drifting skiff.

I delt with many fly fishers going to Baja for the past 50+ years.

Some even drove down there and camped on the beaches like David Lee.

Until the last 30 years or so Roosterfish were mostly caught by trolling flies.

The fly fishing tackle and flies were not up to it back then.

You can throw "almost" any salt water streamer or popper at a school of wildly feeding Dorado.

Lefty Kreh said that the Dorado was the most suicidal fish he had ever seen.

Baja is still the most bang for the buck in salt water offshore angling, especially if you live near the West coast.

50 years ago they had weekend fishing packages to Loreto, Baja from Los Angeles, CA for $99.

50 years ago in the summer the fishing offshore in Southern California was pretty fantastic too.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill-Darian

Charlie Bisharat designed this fly as a generic bass fly and I tweaked it to a Rooster only fly, don't get me wrong his version would also catch rooster's, however after i removed the flash and changed a few more things, I believe it's the most deadly Rooster fly available today. Gary Bulla the Rooster king also likes it and buys many thousands of dollars of these from me.

I also found that using the SA jungle line "clear tip" with a twisted leader and the rod tucked under your arm with a rapid strip also will improve your results. The tan fly seems to me to be the preferred color, however it's been proven to me that the Olive or Tan and you are in good hands.

Carl Blackledge

Carl,

Are you finding these roosters along the breakwater or in open water using the technique mentioned. We were in La Ventana and the roosters were were pushing the baitfish at least 18" up onto the beach as they ripped through balled concentrations of baitfish with their combs out of the water. Amazing speedsters chasing bait is the visual stuck in my memory banks.

Gitt,

We Cruz around the islands about 50-100 feet from shore, cast to the likely spots and strip, after a few days you pretty much know where they hang out. Yes we also throw in chum.

Carl Blackledge