Thread: Do hooks weaken with age?

Default Do hooks weaken with age?

I have some major brand hooks (sizes 6 to 22) that are 40+ years old. Are they still as strong as they were or should I trash them??

I am thinking of tying flies again and using all my old stuff- just in case this is another passing fad.

Already had to invest in a magnifying lamp.

Jim

Default Do Hooks Weaken??

Assuming that they've been stored in a dry place, they should fine (I have some hooks I acquired in the 60's that's fine). Maybe not as stylish or the latest thing. Be sure to remove the barb if using in "barbless" waters.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I don't think they go bad. stay wit what you have for now, but when you get some new hooks you will be amazed how much is out there and how good it all is now.

I also have hooks from the 70s and still use them. I was trained as a mechanical engineer and see no reason they would go bad with age.
    Older hooks are not as sharp out of the box as the new hooks and some of the old Mustad hooks were over-tempered so the points sometimes break off, often at the barb when striking a rock, but they don't straighten like some of the newer hooks.