Thread: Pyramid Lake 3/20/22 Report

Default Pyramid Lake 3/20/22 Report

So I decided to do a solo trip and venture up to Pyramid Lake last Sunday. I got to the Mid an hour and a half before sunrise, which gave me enough time to prepare my gear. The forecast for the day stated that it would be cloudy with some sunshine. Unfortunately, it was about 95% sunny with 5% clouds.

After fishing my first spot for 4 hours without a single bite, I decided to move to another beach. I fished for 2 more hours without getting a bite. Then I finally hooked one and it popped up. Luckily, I landed 6 more within a 3 hour timeframe. I probably hooked just as many with LDRs. I had one break my tippet within the first few seconds. The biggest fish (shown below) hit at the 6' depth mark (kind of crazy).

The day was tough with the less than desirable conditions. I tried my best to adapt by switching locations, switching midge patters often, and changing my tippet from 12lb to 8.5lb test. I also think the fish are going to spawn sooner than they did last year. I believe some have already started spawning. This might be my last trip to the Mid for this season but it depends on the how the spawn goes. So if you want to fish before the spawn, you better get up there soon! Good luck everyone!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9373.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	673.4 KB 
ID:	17847
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9377.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	781.5 KB 
ID:	17848
    Last edited by Pvillarr; 03-23-2022 at 05:03 PM.
    ..."I'd rather be fishing..."

Peter V

Quote Originally Posted by Pvillarr View Post
    So I decided to do a solo trip and venture up to Pyramid Lake last Sunday. I got to the Mid an hour and a half before sunrise, which gave me enough time to prepare my gear. The forecast for the day stated that it would be cloudy with some sunshine. Unfortunately, it was about 95% sunny with 5% clouds.

After fishing my first spot for 4 hours without a single bite, I decided to move to another beach. I fished for 2 more hours without getting a bite. Then I finally hooked one and it popped up. Luckily, I landed 6 more within a 3 hour timeframe. I probably hooked just as many with LDRs. I had one break my tippet within the first few seconds. The biggest fish (shown below) hit at the 6' depth mark (kind of crazy).

The day was tough with the less than desirable conditions. I tried my best to adapt by switching locations, switching midge patters often, and changing my tippet from 12lb to 8.5lb test. I also think the fish are going to spawn sooner than they did last year. I believe some have already started spawning. This might be my last trip to the Mid for this season but it depends on the how the spawn goes. So if you want to fish before the spawn, you better get up there soon! Good luck everyone!
    Nice late season report Peter.
    Thank you for your report.

This time of the year, I woulda' thought you would have slayed 'em.

Pyramid has been a total bust for me this year.
    I only went once this year and have been living in "Jeep repair hell" since last fall.

That's o.k. though, my ride "should" now be good to go for another couple of decades to-and-fro my fishing spots.

My local spots have finally thawed and are starting to wake up too.
    So, like you, I may "stick a fork in Pyramid" for the rest of the season and concentrate on my local stuff.

Good to see your Pyramid posts again !!!

Dang late season Cutthroats......................

Bob

Hey Bob, you are totally right....Pyramid has been a mystery to me this year as well.

When I last worked in Reno in the beginning of the month, I fished Pyramid for a few hours and I met a nice fella who guides in Alaska. I gave him the fly that was currently working for me that day. Then to my surprise, he catches a 18.5lber on that fly 2 hours later and only 20' from where I was fishing. The biggest I caught that day was 9lbs. This experience really showed me that it truly is all about being at the "right place, at the right time" in everything in life!

Quote Originally Posted by BS View Post
    Nice late season report Peter.
    Thank you for your report.

This time of the year, I woulda' thought you would have slayed 'em.

Pyramid has been a total bust for me this year.
    I only went once this year and have been living in "Jeep repair hell" since last fall.

That's o.k. though, my ride "should" now be good to go for another couple of decades to-and-fro my fishing spots.

My local spots have finally thawed and are starting to wake up too.
    So, like you, I may "stick a fork in Pyramid" for the rest of the season and concentrate on my local stuff.

Good to see your Pyramid posts again !!!

Dang late season Cutthroats......................

Bob
    ..."I'd rather be fishing..."

Peter V

No you are wrong about that!!!!!!!!

I is only one cast. You didn't make the ONE CAST!

Regards, gene