Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I just don't understand

Default I just don't understand

I have a tough time understanding the personalities of some fisher people who spend a lot of time and money going to destinations that produce really lousy results. Two of my friends recently returned from a bone fish trip who are both seasoned fishermen. The fly guy caught one fish and the spinning rod guy caught two. I can't understand why any one would want to put out their precious rubies (probably thousands of dollars) for such a small catch. And in the two previous weeks that place was full and only five fish were caught.

A long time ago I was a tarpon guy who spent thousands of dollars for a two-week trip but I literally caught hundreds of tarpon. I even caught a "Grand Slam" and have an IGFA certificate. I was doing my annual Mexico trip at the same time and as things started to change (get worse) on the tarpon front, I realized I could stay twice as long in Mexico for about half the price of a tarpon trip. For people that really want to catch fish, for the life of me I can't see why you wouldn't want to try Loreto, which has been very consistent for over two decades.

I realize that sometimes people have other motivations for trips, and may like the thrill of the chase or the scenery or just getting away, but all those things are available in Loreto as well. The people that run the Hotel Oasis where I stay are wonderful and the staff will bend over backwards to make you happy, and the food is great. The guides are knowledgeable and the fishing, I'll say again, is the most consistent I have encountered over my lifetime.

If any one would like more information about my trip, you can email me at
    carlblackiedge@aol.com. I can tell you how to put together a trip and refer you to the right people. If you email me you're phone number I'd be happy to talk to you on the phone also. I don't get any money for this, I just like to share the 411.

If you want to go off shore fly fishing out of Loreto, Baja, Mexico I know Carl Blackledge will help you.

Out of our fly shop my staff and I took thousands of people on group trips for 40 years so I can tell you a little about this subject.

Problem #1) Many people are not very good fly casters..........huge issue.

Problem #2) Many people do not get properly outfitted for their trips.....they have outfits that no one could cast well.

Problem #3) Many people do not go to these destinations at "Prime Time"............very sad.

Problem #4) Many of these old famous destinations are no longer any good.........big problem.

Example: There are probably 30 or 40 "lodges" in the Bahamas or Belize and only maybe 6 are worth going to today.

I would go through a good fly fishing travel agency like Flywater, Yellow Dog, the Fly Shop, or Bob Marriot's.

The lodges pay them to get customers so it doesn't cost you anything.

These travel services have employees who go to these destination regularly and know them well.

We call the best destinations the "returnable destinations".

These are the ones that people go back to, year after year, until they no longer can make the trip.

These lodges are booked up for years during the prime weeks by the same fly shops or fly clubs or groups of anglers.

I had old customers who went on the same set of trips for many decades.

One in Alaska for Rainbows, one in British Columbia for Steelhead, one in New Zealand for trout, one in the tropics for flats fishing.

With the passing of the men of the Greatest Generation many feel that international fly fishing travel will fade away too?

The biggest problem is that 90% of the World's fisheries have tanked.

This why we have to pay $5,000 to $10,000 a week to go to one of the few places with an intact ecosystem and lots of fish.

If you find a place where the wife can have shopping, play tennis, lay one the bech (without bugs) and have nice restaurants then you can be sure the fishing will suck.

The worst the amenities are the better the fishing will be.

Call, text or email me for any advice.........
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I went to Loreto in the 1990's. It was good, maybe as good as what Carl talks about now. except that there were no knowledgable rooster fishing around if dorado were slow. The price was comparable to current rates. There were fewer fly guides back then. I loved it then; it sounds even better today.

Mc Fish,

We have crazy good rooster fishing. In Loreto the Roosters are all around all the islands, in the old days we always went way out to sea and chased Dorado and bill fish, it seems one year we had a lot of wind so most of us stayed in close to the islands to stay out of the wind, and wow we found roosters, Today you catch 50 roosters per day and that is the truth-10-20 pound roosters all over the place. I usually fish 2-3 day for Dorado then go beat up the roosters just cause I can, and a 15 pound rooster can pull a 10 pound bone fish backwards then eat it for lunch--lol Carl

Salt fishing is a different monster I'm no expert on, but if you've ever been steelheading, your mindset really isn't equipped for it.

Bluewater flyfishing is a game that requires specialized and expensive equipment that can only be used for a very short time period. You fish Loreto Carl, for what, a month a year, what do you fish for in the other 11 months? Thus, there is a very steep entry cost that many people don't want to pay, for expensive gear that has little use elsewhere. Loreto's great, don't get me wrong, but BW flyfishing will never be as popular as trout/steelhead flyfishing.

Wlredband,

Your right BW gear is very expensive If bought new, I bought most of my stuff on ebay and I use mine between 5-6 weeks a year in Mexico, however I only pay once and I find the thrill well worth the small price, however You could say that same thing to some steelheader who thinking about graduating his/her game going bone fishing for the first time? By the way I used to use my BW gear also for Tarpon-permit and bones

PS a 9 foot 9 wt Sage that a local steelheader would buy costs the same as a 16 wt Sage that a BW would buy-go figure

Carl
    Last edited by Carl Blackledge; 03-22-2022 at 12:58 PM.

If anyone wants to save some bucks on a heavy SW outfit I have a TFO Bluewater MD 8'6" 4 pc 500-650 grain rod for sale for $150 shipped in Conus. Used once before I went to something lighter. Think bill fish, tuna, sharks...... The rubber end of the fighting butt broke off and TFO wanted me to send the entire rod back to replace it and charge me for return shipping. I repaired it myself and it's fine.
    PM me for images.

Larry, I have a guy who wants to buy your rod....call me 707-481-9000

Carl

Mexico = safety issues stemming from cartels?
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river