Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I just don't understand

Carl asked, “I have a tough time understanding the personalities of some fisher people who spend a lot of time and money going to destinations that produce really lousy results.

Not, “why do people not BW fish” which is what you “answered,” with: and I answered "why". And the reason why is BW tackle is expensive and very few people have it nor will use it enough to justify the large expenditure required.

No correlation.

Next. You post a picture of a trout. You explain you are proving California fishing doesn’t suck. In a post about fishing in Mexico.
    Then you explain to me that, “Simple question answered again. I hope I explained it clearly to you.”

No you didn’t. What question did that answer? That CA fishing doesn’t suck. No one asked that “question.” That’s not a question…it’s a statement. A statement that wasn’t made in this post.

No correlation.

Good job fishing. That’s great. I love steelhead.

I have 211 post since 2006. Not exactly troll type numbers.
    Dude, you aren’t making sense. People are being polite. You are new here and don’t know the folks you are talking about.

I ain't new here. Been around forever. Had to change my login name when the site switched over many years ago. You know long before you even knew of this site. If I used that old login name, all the old timers would know who I am and I'd have thousands of posts. But thanks for your wrong advice. And for the record, you ain't telling me what to post, so don't even try that. And I'm not gonna go in a tit for tat with you because you misunderstood what I posted, which is in response to comments made in this thread. Try re-reading them and the answer is right before your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by slage View Post
    Carl asked, “I have a tough time understanding the personalities of some fisher people who spend a lot of time and money going to destinations that produce really lousy results.

Not, “why do people not BW fish” which is what you “answered,” with: and I answered "why". And the reason why is BW tackle is expensive and very few people have it nor will use it enough to justify the large expenditure required.

No correlation.

Next. You post a picture of a trout. You explain you are proving California fishing doesn’t suck. In a post about fishing in Mexico.
    Then you explain to me that, “Simple question answered again. I hope I explained it clearly to you.”

No you didn’t. What question did that answer? That CA fishing doesn’t suck. No one asked that “question.” That’s not a question…it’s a statement. A statement that wasn’t made in this post.

No correlation.

Good job fishing. That’s great. I love steelhead.

I have 211 post since 2006. Not exactly troll type numbers.
    Dude, you aren’t making sense. People are being polite. You are new here and don’t know the folks you are talking about.
    Last edited by WLREDBAND; 03-26-2022 at 07:29 AM.

I am a little tired of people saying fishing in California sucks. Nobody likes someone else raining on their parade. I appreciate Redband objecting to that which I think is his main message. Let other people do what they want and don’t make them feel bad about what they are doing. They have reasons for doing what they do that you may not understand. I like to fish locally and can do short trips multiple times a week and it does not suck. Live and let live.

Carl does a lot of good things for people. Getting them connected to a good opportunity in Mexico they otherwise might miss out on is a big deal. I have given it some serious thought myself. I am sure there are a lot of people out there who are grateful for help they got from him. Clearly he does it because he likes helping people and not to make money. Anybody who helps people that much has to be a good guy. And he can fish and tie like crazy.

Stop hassling people on the board. Go fishing and make a freaking report.

John, absolutely 100% correct, top to bottom. Glad someone else gets it.
    Let me put it in this context, and translate the original post into my own words: I do not understand why anyone would want to fish anywhere but Loreto, because fishing everyplace else sucks. Consider that statement and you just might understand my posts.
    And now I'm officially done with this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    I am a little tired of people saying fishing in California sucks. Nobody likes someone else raining on their parade. I appreciate Redband objecting to that which I think is his main message. Let other people do what they want and don’t make them feel bad about what they are doing. They have reasons for doing what they do that you may not understand. I like to fish locally and can do short trips multiple times a week and it does not suck. Live and let live.

Carl does a lot of good things for people. Getting them connected to a good opportunity in Mexico they otherwise might miss out on is a big deal. I have given it some serious thought myself. I am sure there are a lot of people out there who are grateful for help they got from him. Clearly he does it because he likes helping people and not to make money. Anybody who helps people that much has to be a good guy. And he can fish and tie like crazy.

Stop hassling people on the board. Go fishing and make a freaking report.
    Last edited by WLREDBAND; 03-26-2022 at 12:33 PM.

I am disappointed to see this thread turn negative and nasty, which is not the spirit of this forum. As my grandmother used to say, if you don't have something nice to say, say nothing at all.

I fished alongside Carl in the 1980s and 90s along the north coast, and the fishery was in decline back then. We fished the Russian, Gualala, Garcia, Eel, Smith, etc for steelhead, salmon, and shad with a lot of the OG guys you read about in Russ Chatham's books. I also fished the Delta for stripers in the 80's before it was choked with hydrilla. These were special times that I will cherish forever. Sadly, I have not fished the coastal steelhead rivers in years because of the decline. I understand why Carl feels the way he does.

I have also fished the Yuba, Feather, as well as the Trinity and Sac up in "Shastanistan" and we pulled some truly impressive specimens out of these rivers. There is good fishing in CA and just last September my son landed resident trout, not steelhead, that went 24, 25, and 27 inches in a single weekend, including this one (assuming I can figure out how to attach a photo). Truly world class trout. I fish the Yuba for some dry fly action. The Lower Sac has big fish, but I don't like chasing bobbers and dry fly and swinging opportunities are somewhat limited.

After thinking about it for many years, I decided to try Loreto with one of my sons. I have not been there yet and the investment in BW gear is steep but I bought everything second hand and I can re-sell it without losing much if I don't like it. I am excited to try the fishery and I thank Carl for all his help with the planning.

Fishing is supposed to be fun and this forum is a wealth of knowledge and a wonderful community. There are way too many nasty forums out there; let's keep this one positive

Thanks and tight lines

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trout.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	17863

Maybe I'm dense. I don't see any problem here. Every major poster is 100 percent correct. Baja looks like a fabulous place. No question. California is a fabulous place, again no question. California anadromous fisheries have declined dramatically since the '70s, again no question. Carl is a great guy and speaks well of the fishing out of Loreto. Again no question. So What is the problem here? WLRedband says fishing in Ca. is still great, no question. Since I have had my reading comprehensive abilities questioned before on this board maybe I'm just not catching it. What is the problem here?

Oh, just for the record, WLREDBAND, I'm sure all of the old timers here know you and your past. And I personally am glad you're still around, even under a different handle. I think I could've showed you something on the last Shad run. Fish on brother.
    Last edited by Ed Wahl; 03-26-2022 at 10:57 PM.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.