Thread: Pyramid Novice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Pyramid Novice

I'm going to have the opportunity to fish Pyramid lake for a day towards the end of next week, and I'm wondering if anyone has tips for a Pyramid novice. (What sort of structure should I look for? Nymphing vs Stripping? What setup to use? Etc) any tips help, and I'm open to PM's. I'll post a report once I'm done. Thanks!

NK

Quote Originally Posted by Natekursow View Post
    I'm going to have the opportunity to fish pyramid for a day towards the end of next week, and I'm wondering if anyone has tips for a pyramid novice. (What sort of structure should I look for? Nymphing vs Stripping? What setup to use? Etc) any tips help, and I'm open to PM's. I'll post a report once I'm done. Thanks!

NK
    Tip #1 - Get a guide if you can. Tip #2 - Call the Reno Fly Shop to get an up to date report and then stop and buy some flies. Tip #3 - Have two rods set up. One with a fast sinking shooting head, one set up for nymphing. Some folks like a two-hander for throwing the nymph rig. Tip #4 - Bring a ladder if you have one that's suitable, otherwise you'll need to find beaches with faster drop offs. Tip #5 - Go here to find out what to expect at different beaches - https://www.pyramidlakeflyfishing.co...shing/beaches/ Tip #6 - Go to a beach with some people so you can watch what others are doing around you. Tip #7 - Set your expectations low. It can be great, but it can also be awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Tip #1 - Get a guide if you can. Tip #2 - Call the Reno Fly Shop to get an up to date report and then stop and buy some flies. Tip #3 - Have two rods set up. One with a fast sinking shooting head, one set up for nymphing. Some folks like a two-hander for throwing the nymph rig. Tip #4 - Bring a ladder if you have one that's suitable, otherwise you'll need to find beaches with faster drop offs. Tip #5 - Go here to find out what to expect at different beaches - https://www.pyramidlakeflyfishing.co...shing/beaches/ Tip #6 - Go to a beach with some people so you can watch what others are doing around you. Tip #7 - Set your expectations low. It can be great, but it can also be awful.
    Well said. Only other suggestion, Tip #8 - Bring a spin rod too with a few Sierra spoons and marabou jigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Some excellent advice. #9. I also recommend wearing multiple layers. It can get bone-chilling cold there.
    ..."I'd rather be fishing..."

Peter V

Quote Originally Posted by Pvillarr View Post
    Some excellent advice. #9. I also recommend wearing multiple layers. It can get bone-chilling cold there.
    Really the most important thing to know. Bring the warmest gear you have and have extra of everything. Hopefully your waders dont leak. My first few years of fishing pyramid in my early 20s i was so broke i could barely afford the gas and new waders were out of the question and i was MISERABLE. But hooking the biggest trout of my life so still happy. Good luck to you i will be fishing thurs thru sat with my gear fishing buddy. He has gone twice with me before and has hooked some smaller fish and hoping he gets into a good one.

Thanks for all the advice! I'll be sure to follow them as much as possible. In terms of structure/drop off, I'd I don't have a ladder, what should I be looking for?

Great tips so far! Don't skimp on the layers, I'm always surprised at how much I wear when I'm out. And don't be afraid to go where other people are, they're there for a reason and are generally willing to chat.

The Reno Fly Shop has a good map of the beaches. https://renoflyshop.com/map-1/ The Tribe took down most of the beach signs so Google Earth will be your friend finding the turnoffs. Most of the roads are pretty rocky so be prepared. Also, phone reception isn't great.

As far as structure, you'll either be in the sand or in the rocks. Look for the drop offs, the classic ambush areas fish like. These are some serious predators and they like to cruise the drop offs and sneak up on their prey. A three step ladder is generally sufficient for most of the beaches. But you can definitely fish the lake without the ladder if its not too cold and the waves aren't crashing (though that's when the fishing tends to be the best).

Lastly, spend some time reviewing the Tribe's regulations and make sure you get a permit. They patrol regularly. I was out last Saturday and saw a couple of guys get tickets for various issues.

Low expectations. Have an extraordinary amount of patience. On bright sunny days you may only get a bite or two but that bite could be the fish of a lifetime. If you can afford it, get a guide

tan beetles