Sometimes life is good and sometimes it isn't. When you are lucky enough to catch a nice bass and a nice striper in the same day it is good. I got a five pound largemouth early this morning and got a good sequence of release photos. Later I caught a striper that was about ten pounds. I had seen a ten inch bass follow my fly and was trying to tease him up when the striper came up, got the fly and headed back down. He towed me out to the middle of the slough where I got him in the net but in the process of getting the camera ready he slipped out of the net, shook the fly loose and thrashed his way out of the thumb grip I had on his lip. Quite an escape. He is at the bottom of the slough right now laughing and bragging to his buddies about how he put a quality move on some chump in a kayak and got away clean. He is not wrong. I probably need to get a bigger net or a stronger thumb. I am having a surgery next week so life will not be good for a while after that but hopefully by April I will be on my feet and able to do some boat fishing. We'll see.

The thrashed but effective fly.

The Largemouth Release