Thread: The Striper Fishing Report

Default The Striper Fishing Report

I have been out several times in the last month and the striper fishing report is "not too good". I catch at least a few stripers and a largemouth or two almost every time out but it is seems impossible to break through the 5 pound barrier. Twenty inchers are great but you go striper fishing because there is a chance for a ten plus pounder. I have maintained some faith that the ten is coming but I am starting to lose it. I will keep at it and keep hoping for Mr Big to roll up on my fly and crush it. What else are you going to do.

Today I got six stripers and three largemouth. The stripers topped out at about 20 inches but it seemed like the good bass were getting active and moving up onto the shoreline. I cast next to a pile of sticks where stripers are known to hang out and had a good bite before I had even stripped but it did not stay on. I was bummed of course but I came back around about 15 minutes later and hooked and caught a nice bass just a few feet from where the first bite was. I am sure it was the same fish and feel pretty fortunate to have gotten a second chance.

I also found a bird nest in good condition that was about to fall out of a tree and into the water. Pretty good sunrise with some ground fog also.

Last edited by John H; 03-02-2022 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    I have maintained some faith that the ten is coming but I am starting to lose it. I will keep at it and keep hoping for Mr Big to roll up on my fly and crush it.
    John,

Don't give up the faith.

Your turn is coming sooner than later ........................

Whilst I don't comment much on every post, I truly do appreciate yours.

It's been a rather frustrating fall/winter for me and at least I get to live vicariously through your fishing adventures.

Have you considered crafting a plywood striper to burn ................. a la "Burning Striper" ???
    A wise man once suggested I do that with the Cutthroats .............................. hummmmm.

Keep at it John ................ it's going to happen soon ................. I can feel it ........................

Dang Stripers .............................

Bob

Bob - I would burn a plywood striper if I thought it would help. Maybe a nighttime ceremony on the bank of a slough with a fire and some dancing and chanting would bring in the tens. Dang stripers is right. I hope you are able to get out there. Thanks for the comments.

Keep the faith! Your fish will come... Great pics as usual!

Nice John,

That first picture is 'Natural Geographic' quality.

Chinese "Bird's Nest Soup"?

March can be a good month in the Delta for Stripers.

In April, May and June most of the Stripers run up near Colusa to spawn in the Sacramento river.

May is Kevin Doran's favorite month for top water LMB in the Delta.

April is a good month for bass in the low elevation reservoirs.

May, June and July is American Shad month in the Sacramento drainage.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Time to just focus on the Ditch Pickles John. It's the only viable fishery left around here and obviously you have a knack for finding them.