Thread: Down and Dirty Ditch Fishing

Default Down and Dirty Ditch Fishing

I did some ditch fishing today. Stripers are a little scarce right now, steelhead are not happening for many reasons and it is too early for bass so it seemed like the obvious thing to do was either go trout fishing or find a ditch nearby and sight fish for some carp. I have read about fly fishing carp for a long time and had come to the conclusion they were easy to spook and hard to fool. I tried it today and they are not easy to catch but can be caught. Generally you had to spot one, get a fly in the water ahead of him and when he got close move it a little and hope for a bite. Mostly they ignore your fly but some do grab. When they did take it you could see them move to it and dip down to get it. One did come up to get it as the fly fell and one grabbed on a blind cast in dirty water but otherwise they all sucked it out of the mud. Down and dirty ditch fishing for carp and one crappie. Not exactly trout sipping mayflies on a clear mountain stream but fun stuff.

Nice John.......looked like good weather.

I have never tried it with a fly before caught them on dough balls as a kid.

They are powerful fighters though.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

John, I was at the hatchery across from Sailor bar yesterday around 10am and the steelhead are definitely happening. I talked to a bead and bobber tosser and he C/R 10 before I got there and we watched two more bright fish reeled in by Lil Cleo tossers. This was happening just below the power line crossing and mere feet above the riffles. I talked to another pair of gear guys and they both said the fly fishermen at Sailor Bar broke off many without landing any. There were no fly people there when I was there and very few gear guys, but you could see the steelies swimming and circling. They're definitely still there and not at all beat up looking. Might be worth a shot in the morning or evenings, at least until the shad show up. Nice pics of the grass trout and crappie!
    It's a Chromer!