Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good Yuba flows for a novice?

Put in BELOW the bridge. Scout the take out before launching. I can't count how many people have missed it and wound up at Daguerre dam. Hundreds of (mostly drunk) kids run it every year in rubber duckies and inner tubes and live to tell the tale. Take it slow, scout anything that might be technical, stay out of the willows, and you will be fine. A fellow boater would be good insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Put in BELOW the bridge. Scout the take out before launching. I can't count how many people have missed it and wound up at Daguerre dam. Hundreds of (mostly drunk) kids run it every year in rubber duckies and inner tubes and live to tell the tale. Take it slow, scout anything that might be technical, stay out of the willows, and you will be fine. A fellow boater would be good insurance.
    Thanks for the good info Ralph

I recently floated the Yuba for the first time in a kayak. At its current flows there were only 2 spots I felt uncomfortable going through; the first rapid below the bridge and the 3rd rapid down the river. Just pull your boat onto the bank and walk it past, no shame in doing it.

Also, there is a big piece of corrugated metal that is right in the middle of the river just above sycamore after you pass 3 trees that are on the stream bottom, Id avoid hitting it

Ralph was spot-on with his advice to scout the take-out. Know what it looks like and what is upstream of it so you can put the boat in the right position. I have also seen lots of guys over-run take-outs.

I highly recommend you take an experienced boater with you on your first few trips. Best thing I did when I bought my drift boat. I first drifted the water with a guide in his boat to see the water and I paid attention to what he was doing. The first couple floats in my boat I took a friend who showed me how by doing a lot of the rowing. On subsequent drifts he helped by doing the technical stuff and explained why he did what he did. I learned a tremendous amount from this process

The “rapid” right below the bridge put in felt much more like an actual rapid at lower flows. Did it in my pontoon when river was at 5-600 and the drop, after avoiding the big rock on river right, was pretty exciting. Didnt see a drift boat on the river that day and was happy i was in an inflatable. Goz, i am always looking for someone to float with if you want to do the yuba or lower sac this spring or summer. When i solo float the yuba in my outcast pontoon, i usually swing the good runs with a trout spey and bring a single hand rod too for fishing out of the boat.

Also, im sure its already been mentioned but make sure you wear a good pdf especially when solo floating. My brother got me the NRS Chinook fishing life vest a few xmas’s ago and i absolutely love it. Rated for whitewater and very comfy, made for fishing with lots of handy pockets for fly boxes etc

All this info is great, Thanks.
    I'll definitely scout the takeout on my way to the launch. I have a good PFD, and I'm not too proud to walk around something I'm not comfortable with.
    Jcolin, I'll send you a pm.
    Goz