Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Yuba flows for a novice?

Default Good Yuba flows for a novice?

Hi All,
    I just bought a Watermaster Kodiak raft and want to float/fish some rivers. I've been searching and seems like the Yuba would be a good place to start. What range of Yuba flows would be good for a novice?
    I've floated the Moke a couple of times in a pontoon and have spent a lot of time in float tubes. I've also been ocean kayak fishing for the last ten years so have good water and safety skills, just not on moving water.
    Just finished tying some Skwalas, and I'd like to make a trial run before the hatch and crowds really get going.

Also interested in the lower Sac.

Any info will be appreciated.
    Thanks, Goz

Moving water is a different beast. What is "safe" depends on your skills at rowing, self rescue, swiftwater rescue, and risk awareness and aversion, etc... that craft is not something I think of as generally safe in any moving water (no matter the advertising hype).

At the current low flows of ~ 700 cfs, I personally wouldn't feel safe seeing someone use that craft of the lower Yuba (because I would potentially have to risk my safety to save them). At higher flows, bad things happen quicker, with higher consequences, to crafts like the Watermaster (it should be called the "Flatwater Master").

Granted, I have years of whitewater experience, and years of swiftwater rescue training and SAR training, so I'm a bit jaded due to pulling dead people out of fairly innocuous looking water.

People do use that type of craft on lots of moving water (Lower Yuba, Lower Sac, Lower American) and they catch fish, have a great time, but they typically have no recognition of the risks they are taking.

If you want to take any craft into moving water, I strongly advocate you take a swiftwater rescue class... it will scare the hell out of most people, while at the same time giving them a solid frame of reference on how to calculate risk and deal with simple to complex rescue situations. If you need that training and don't have it, at best your day is gonna suck and be expensive.

https://sierrarescue.com/course-info...escue-courses/

Happy to take you out on a safe craft on the lower Yuba or elsewhere if our schedule can connect.

John

700 is the current flow and it’s about as low as the Yuba gets. In my opinion there are not too many gnarly spots on the Yuba, but the take-out is one of them. If it were me I’d take out at Hammond and not Sycamore. If you’re strong enough to row a WM you’re strong enough to carry it up the hill to the parking lot.

Low doesn’t mean safer. There are fewer hazards at 1200 than 700 IMO.

With that boat it’s more about getting to spots to wade. Wear a PFD, don’t be dumb, and don’t take aggressive lines and it can be done safely. Better to go with a buddy if you can. And honestly every run you’ll get to in your boat on the Yuba you can also get to in a car or with a short walk.

Those boats are incredible, they deserve more credit than they are being given. In the hands of a good boatman there’s not many places you can’t go. I’ve run everything up to class 5 in one and felt comfortable. Best thing about the boat is if you encounter something you don’t like, always run with the bag on the back deck, and you can easily portage around most hazards. Take your time, don’t rush learning how to row. You will have a incident eventually, happens to anyone trying to up their game on the oars. It’s how you respond that matters, and that takes time to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    Moving water is a different beast. What is "safe" depends on your skills at rowing, self rescue, swiftwater rescue, and risk awareness and aversion, etc... that craft is not something I think of as generally safe in any moving water (no matter the advertising hype).

At the current low flows of ~ 700 cfs, I personally wouldn't feel safe seeing someone use that craft of the lower Yuba (because I would potentially have to risk my safety to save them). At higher flows, bad things happen quicker, with higher consequences, to crafts like the Watermaster (it should be called the "Flatwater Master").

Granted, I have years of whitewater experience, and years of swiftwater rescue training and SAR training, so I'm a bit jaded due to pulling dead people out of fairly innocuous looking water.

People do use that type of craft on lots of moving water (Lower Yuba, Lower Sac, Lower American) and they catch fish, have a great time, but they typically have no recognition of the risks they are taking.

If you want to take any craft into moving water, I strongly advocate you take a swiftwater rescue class... it will scare the hell out of most people, while at the same time giving them a solid frame of reference on how to calculate risk and deal with simple to complex rescue situations. If you need that training and don't have it, at best your day is gonna suck and be expensive.

https://sierrarescue.com/course-info...escue-courses/

Happy to take you out on a safe craft on the lower Yuba or elsewhere if our schedule can connect.

John
    JohnR,
    I understand your concerns about safety, exactly why I asked this question. I plan to start with easy floats to gain experience. After much research, I chose the Watermaster not because of advertising hype, but due to numerous very good third party reviews regarding the quality and safety of this raft.
    I promise not to be oblivious as I float down in my inner tube. Sorry for the sarcasm.
    Thanks for the link to the swift water classes and the offer to take me out.
    Hope we can meet up sometime, Goz

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    700 is the current flow and it’s about as low as the Yuba gets. In my opinion there are not too many gnarly spots on the Yuba, but the take-out is one of them. If it were me I’d take out at Hammond and not Sycamore. If you’re strong enough to row a WM you’re strong enough to carry it up the hill to the parking lot.

Low doesn’t mean safer. There are fewer hazards at 1200 than 700 IMO.

With that boat it’s more about getting to spots to wade. Wear a PFD, don’t be dumb, and don’t take aggressive lines and it can be done safely. Better to go with a buddy if you can. And honestly every run you’ll get to in your boat on the Yuba you can also get to in a car or with a short walk.
    PV,
    Thanks for the info regarding the takeout and flows.
    That's the plan, float and wade.
    I always wear a PFD, try not to be dumb and be safe.
    Goz

Quote Originally Posted by TaylerW View Post
    Those boats are incredible, they deserve more credit than they are being given. In the hands of a good boatman there’s not many places you can’t go. I’ve run everything up to class 5 in one and felt comfortable. Best thing about the boat is if you encounter something you don’t like, always run with the bag on the back deck, and you can easily portage around most hazards. Take your time, don’t rush learning how to row. You will have a incident eventually, happens to anyone trying to up their game on the oars. It’s how you respond that matters, and that takes time to learn.
    Tayler,
    Thanks for the good info.
    All the reviews I read agree with your opinion about the Watermaster.
    Goz

Goz,

I don't know much about your boating skills but there's been quite a crowd up there on weekends. And yes, there's already talk about the skwala's going off with the warm weather we've been having.

Be safe anywhere there's water, Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

I use to teach new craft owners how to safely float various Montana rivers . It is a good idea to not try to fish out of it till you have made a couple of floats . Get the feel of it and of the river first . It will be time well spent ! Good luck , Mike

Thanks for the replies Tony and Mike.
    Great idea on the non fishing float.
    I also spoke with a couple of guides at the Pleasanton show and received more info on floating the Yuba.
    Goz