Thread: Super Bowl Sashimi, check

Default Super Bowl Sashimi, check

Went out today to get some sashimi for Superbowl, got this 30lber first pass.

Then got one a little larger

And then Eric got one. All were on spin gear and pink poppers and shrimp looking soft plastic.

Hope you guys have a great Superbowl.
    Don Memmer

Hey Don,
    Pack it in ice and overnight some of the sashimi for my super bowl party. I'll be fishing on the river, I hope to have it all to myself.
    I'll watch the highlights later on the sports channel
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

Web site: http://www.fliesunlimited.com/

Email us at: jaysflies@me.com

Call us at (831) 809-4221

Oh by the way, nice catch
    I'm tying up some poppers for Baja. Double barrel heads and howitzer heads. Going to make them all with an articulated tail.
    It ought to be fun chucking those big, heavy dancing flies.
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

Way to go Don! You've been banging them pretty good lately.

Is it the secret spot or a good time of year?
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Jay don't throw your shoulder out again! I am sure you will have the river all to yourself, even more so if 49'ers were in the big game.
    Tony it is a weird bite. There are lots of nice sized ahi around, but very little bait, as in no aku. They have been hanging around at the state buoys and some at the illegal buoys. Guys have been burning light and getting some at night. but it throws off the fish for the rest of the day. What we know by looking at their stomach contents that they are feeding on 1/4 inch pink shrimp. So the popper looks like a mature shrimp and the pink soft plastic looks like what they are feeding on, match the hatch. It is funny to see guys dragging baits and lures and catching nothing and we are hooking up all day long. Only problem is each 50lber takes 30 -45 minutes to boat. So I am very sore today. I could get one on the fly, but that would take an hour and a half and might blow up a rod. Maybe when we are getting just 20-30lbers. the school is so mixed in size right now you never know when a 100lber is going to hit. Hope this is a sign of a great season, but we keep getting fish while we can. We will make an ono run next week with the full moon and hit some buoys down south. Reports are they are getting the larger ahi down there 150 and up. Only want those on the big reels. Hanapa'a Don
    Don Memmer

Don,
    I bet this Pink Cam Sigler marlin fly would tease those tuna. I'm taking this to baja, hoping to tease up a marlin and then cast to it. I've done this in the past with some success.
    Enjoy the sashimi. Have some for me... except smother it with straight wasabi, a lot of wasabi
    Oh well, I guess my photo didn't go through
    Last edited by Jay Murakoshi; 02-11-2022 at 06:28 PM.
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator