Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Middle Fork Salmon River in Idaho

Sounds like something everyone should see.

You could actually gets a lot of dry fly fishing under your belt.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I rowed a private trip on the Middle Fork Salmon in 2021 with an August 22 launch date. Because of the fire at the Boundary Creek put-in, and the historically low water, we flew all our gear into Indian Creek for the launch.

The fishing was nothing short of exceptional. Average size was 14 inches... my biggest was a cutty that taped out at 22-inches, caught nymphing a Prince beadhead in a fast and deep tailout.

The fish will hit anything on the surface, as evidenced by them constantly hitting Thingamabobbers for the few folks who fished indicators in the deep pools (subsurface produced all of the larger fish of the week). To test that hypothesis I put a hook on an orange Thingamabobber and immediately caught a 10-inch rainbow. Little fish = dumb... big fish = deep.

Anything big and foamy can be your go-to fly... something that rides high and can take a ton of abuse without getting waterlogged. Color didn't seem to matter at all, bring a selection. Plan to nymph a bit if you want to catch some bigger fish... Because the dry fly fishing is so easy and fun, I don't think they are used to that presentation much. Big, heavy beadhead stoneflies with any kind of dropper worked great... go big, and go deep, as that is where the bigger fish are.

7.5 foot leader is all you really need on the surface... most fish hit the fly within a couple seconds of landing, so be prepared to cast, count to three or four, then pick up and cast again. A big splash gets their attention... this is not a finesse fishery. Seems like if they have time to study the fly, even with the perfect drift, that resulted in more looks and then turn-away at last second. The water is CLEAR.

If you keep casting you can have a 100-fish day. Most experienced fisherfolk took a lot of breaks as the novelty of catching non-stop 14-16 inch fish wore off. My best day was probably 40 fish spread out across that day. If you keep at it, maybe one out of every thirty fish went a bit bigger 18-20 inches on a dry on the surface. If you go subsurface, you will catch a few less fish (they are smarted and require more of a drag free presentation), but they will be consistently bigger. Granted, there is just something cool and primal watching them rise and take a surface fly right just 10 feet from the raft.

We didn't fish any of the tributaries as they were all too low and warm. The main flow of the Middle Fork never got too warm to fish in the afternoon, but it was anomalously cool the week we were on the water (30's-40's at night, high 60's to low 70's at night). I think a few weeks earlier there was concern about the water getting a bit too warm in the afternoons.

In summary, great dry fly fishing for numbers, and surprisingly good nymphing for big fish... I'm so glad I listened to my inner gear nerd and tossed in my nymphing box.

Don't get too hung up on what rods to bring... I have them all... a 9-foot 5 wt. covered all the bases and I never felt I needed anything else. Lighter would be fine, but on windy days you will be glad to have the 5 wt. BRING EXTRA RODS... it's a whitewater trip... you will break stuff. With your launch date, you might even flip a raft and lose gear, so always rig to flip (we had one flip even with the low water due to an inexperienced oarsman).

If you are a rod junky, I suggest you bring a longer 3-4 wt. euro rod with a mono rig for use in camp.

I would not bring a two-handed rod... not needed to cover the water, much easier to break, and you have to cover A LOT of miles each day... on a private trip there simply isn't any time to stop at the fishy runs that would be great for swinging. You have to make many miles easy day and you need to have time to scout the technical rapids and tying all your gear down and wondering ow bad of a swim it will be (it won't be bad).

Finally, remember, space is limited on the rafts... good beer and whiskey weigh the same as bad beer and whisky.

John
    Last edited by JohnR; 02-21-2022 at 11:53 AM.

Excellent JohnR.......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Everybody should do this trip at least once.

You have a lot of good info here. A long nymphing rod with a sculpzilla will be as/more useful than a trout spey.