Thread: Delta Newb Question

Default Delta Newb Question

Any suggestions on a place to launch a small boat on the delta to fish for bass this spring? I have either an 8' pontoon I use on the Napa river striper fishing with oars and fins to orient the boat when striper fishing, when the tidal current isn't too strong and feels safe to have fins in water, and I also have a drift boat with a 6 HP motor. Don't know if any of these are appropriate, but I have heard of people kayak fishing certain parts often and doing well. I have never spent time in the delta despite growing up not too far north of there, and have no idea where is safe for smaller craft. Thanks

Any of the ramps on Piper Slough. Russo's, Sugar Barge. Lots of 5 mph water and lots of bass. I see quite a few kayaks and small craft when I launch at Paradise Point also. Plenty of good water close to the ramp also.

Just curious, Stripers or LMB or both?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

J - MT’s advice is good. I have found that he is wise. I would add there is good bass water all over the Delta and suggest the closest place you can get to, that is not too windy. I have suffered enough to say that wind is a big problem for the non-motorized boater throwing flies. Bass boaters can battle it with the pedal control trolling motor but boat control is super important and if you can’t cast and control the boat simultaneously you won’t be fishing much. I use the Windfinder app. You might want to check that out. There is nothing worse than getting kicked around by the wind while you are trying to fish.

Captain Andy Guibord said that his best days in the Delta for top water LMB was when there was ZERO wind.

Captain Kevin Doran said May was his top month for top water LMB.

https://www.windfinder.com/apps/
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thank you guys for the suggestions. Will look into those ramps. Bill, interested in stripers and largemouth, topwater and subsurface. I can orient the pontoon fine with the fins Like i would a floatube, as long as current is not strong enough to make it dangerous having fins in the water. Will download the windfinder app hadnt heard of that!