Thread: Pyramid novice

Default Pyramid novice

I'm thinking about making a trip next week as have never fished it.

I've been enjoying trying for striper in Marin having just moved here and learning the shore game.

Had caught some fish and learned a lot.

But Pyramid is alluring.

I have 7-8 weight and 6 weight switch rods.

Sounds like I should rent a ladder, looks like a few places offer them.

Given traveling from Marin may spring for a night at the lake versus driving back to Reno.

I've read a lot from regulars on here - thanks Bob and others - any other advice appreciated.

Cheers
    Steve

I just fish it a few times a season and there are way more knowledgeable folks to chime in than me. I've spent the most time on southern beaches with moderate to extremely steep drop offs. Do like a few spots on the northern end too. I like to use two hand rods, overhand casting an Outbound Short type 6 sinking shooting head. I used to use my SH setups with intermediate Skagit heads with heavy sink tips and would get into some fish stripping flies but switching to a full sinking head was a game changer as far as hookups. Some people also use intermediate/sinking running lines too and I am curious about trying that. So getting deep is important when stripping. A lot of people bobber fish there but I get bored fast doing that.

Other pretty generic things I've learned is don't move spots to find fish if people are hooking up, keeping your flies in the water as much as possible and taking minimal breaks which means decent gear and very warm layers and no leaky waders etc. Important to remember that the fish are cruising in various size schools and the beach you're on can be very slow and then change all of a sudden very fast when a big school comes through. I also have done well using larger streamers throughout the whole season, despite buggers boobies and beetles being more common.

Good luck! I am debating going this weekend.
    Last edited by Jcolin; 02-10-2022 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by steveg137 View Post

I've been enjoying trying for striper a i Marin having just moved here and learning the shore game. Had caught some fish and learned a lot.

But Pyramid is alluring.

Given traveling from Marin may spring for a night at the lake versus driving back to Reno.

I've read a lot from regulars on here - thanks Bob and others - any other advice appreciated.

Cheers
    Steve
    I learned the bulk of information from https://www.pyramidlakeflyfishing.com The website has a lot of DIY resources. It might not be a bad idea to hire a guide for at least one day so that you can learn from someone directly and then apply your knowledge from there. If you do not want to use a ladder, research beaches with close deep drop-offs and/or areas with rocks. Good luck!
    ..."I'd rather be fishing..."

Peter V

Quote Originally Posted by Pvillarr View Post
    I learned the bulk of information from https://www.pyramidlakeflyfishing.com The website has a lot of DIY resources. It might not be a bad idea to hire a guide for at least one day so that you can learn from someone directly and then apply your knowledge from there. If you do not want to use a ladder, research beaches with close deep drop-offs and/or areas with rocks. Good luck!
    Agreed on the website. Specifically some really detailed information on what you'll find at the various beaches.

https://www.pyramidlakeflyfishing.co...shing/beaches/

Quote Originally Posted by steveg137 View Post

I've been enjoying trying for striper in Marin having just moved here and learning the shore game.

Had caught some fish and learned a lot.

But Pyramid is alluring.

Cheers
    Steve

Steve,
    Any idea which days you're considering ??

I'm jonesin' for a dang Cutthroat fix and might be persuaded to go and catch a few $ 8.00 fish next week too.

As far as rods ........ If I were you, I'd take the 6 wt two-hander AND your 7-8 wt two-hander rigged and ready.
    Also, if you've got an 8 wt singlehander and a matching very fast sinking head, I'd bring that too, that would get you on the bottom in the sand to fish a bugger/beetle rig.
    Some days they ONLY want stripped stuff on the bottom..............dang Cutthroats...............

Pretty good advise from Peter on considering a guide for a day also.
    It'd be a shame to drive from the bay area and smell like a skunk all the way back home.
    Ask me how I know that scenario........................

Good luck to you Steve and maybe we'll run into each other !!!!!!

Any more questions...............just fire away............we'll try and give you some help !!!!!!

And..............................WE DEMAND a Pyramid report afterwards too !!!!

Dang Cutthroats..................................

Bob
    Last edited by BS; 02-10-2022 at 07:15 PM.

Fantastic advice guys really appreciate it.

Bob if I get up there would most likely be Wed / Thur

I'll pm you my cell in case

Cheers all
    Steve

Steve,
    I’ve fished Pyramid off and on for 30 years now. I was fortunate to have a friend and mentor (I met through a fly fishing club) take me there and show me the ropes. I’ve had more than my fair share of the skunk smell. Anyone whoÂ’s been there much has been through it. Also had some great days, including fishing with my sons.

If you don’t have a friend/mentor to help you a guide can be very informative but you will have to lay out some significant coinage. If you go the guide route you might want to wait till the later part of next month when the water warms up and the fish are more active. The good thing about a guide is that they have all the equipment, including ladders, and they can show you how they rig up too.

Even on a poor fishing day it’s still great to get out, the scenery is rather surreal in that you are at a lake fishing for big trout in the middle of the high desert. If you go and need a ladder, instead of renting one I’ll let you borrow one of mine. You just need to come by in Carson City to pick it up and drop it back off. I have 4 of them in my garage right now. Just let me know.

John