Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fishcounts now and then...

Right Ill just hop on a jet and fly down to Mexico right now. Being able to go to destination fisheries is great, but its not the norm for ~95% of sportsmen. You get what you want out of fishing, I go just to get away from the toils of everyday life, and the time I spend outdoors is good regardless of how many fish I catch. If numbers and looking down on people is all your concerned about I heard that golf is really fun

Quote Originally Posted by Rossflyguy View Post
    Well with only 1.5 million people that have fishing licenses in a stat of 40 million people the culture of the great outdoors is fading away. Only 275,000 people in this state buy hunting licenses. People are too worried about social media and words. They want more houses and people to live in a severely stressed resource state. The wildlife is gonna go first.
    Ain’t that the truth!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jcolin View Post
    Can't imagine how good you guys must have had it...Klamath in the fall, Pit, McCloud, Truckee, lower Sac, Yuba, smallmouth and especially largemouth pretty much everywhere in the state, various eastside stillwaters and rivers, Pyramid even though that's NV.

There are so many fisheries that I am pretty content with today. The Russian, Gualala etc another story... I don't have the same context that older fly fisherman have being 30 yo, but if it sucks today man I wish I could’ve fished it 30-50 years ago.

Nice fish wlredband.

Your right JC......great attitude.

Things are not as good as they were "back in the day" but there are still plenty of good fishing left in Nor Cal.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

In my limited experience, since I got back into the outdoors 12 years ago, numbers guys are never happy. Always comparing now to back then. When I first started swinging flies, I didn’t touch a fish for 3 years, still had a blast, formed some of my best memories with my dad during that time. He had it good growing up in Santa Cruz fishing the San Lorenzo yet today he’s still just as happy floating the Rogue. If I make it to the coast before the winter season closes, it’ll have been 4 years since I’ve touched a fish on the river I fish, I’m stubborn though, I like to waddle from camp to fish a run less than a 1/4 mile from the ocean.

Whether it’s steelhead, ducks or upland birds, I’ve taken far more from where I was at than any fish or bird could give me. At this point in my life, unless I’m fishing with my dad I go alone, meeting up with those in the same places I’ve connected with over the years. One of which is a numbers guy, he hasn’t fished the coast or Klamath in a few years opting instead to chase birds. When he did fish, he was always on the go. It all seemed too hectic to me, fish a run get back in the truck and drive, over and over day after day. On the Klamath, I’ll set up camp, anchor my boat, get up, go fish a few runs come back to camp, sit in my chair and just stare at the river for hours, maybe hit a run in the evening maybe not. My last trip to the Klamath last season was for 4 days, landed a nice adult in the first run I fished and nothing else the rest of the trip, matter of fact between two separate trips that was the only adult fish I caught, it was great none the less. That fur ball riding the bow of my sled has brought more joy to my world in the outdoors than anything else!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22964892-F67C-4A55-8D2F-5358945D110F.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	594.4 KB 
ID:	17780

Name:	B6994E8F-0DB7-442F-B58F-42DD517E7B62.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	366.6 KB 
ID:	17781

Name:	964C643D-1188-48A5-8E39-A3026726D4FF.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	206.6 KB 
ID:	17782
    Last edited by Bwag; 02-25-2022 at 10:20 AM.

Default Steelhead.....

Bwag,.... That Steelhead is a beautiful fish!! I like your "fur ball" buddy, Also.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown