Steelhead 222.

Trinity River Hatchery

Spring Run Chinook 2,005
    Fall Run Chinook 5,968.

Klamath River Project:

Shasta River Chinook 6,908, Coho 45.
    Scott River Chinook 1,324, Coho 823.
    Bogus Creek Chinook 2,871, Coho 299.

Averages from early 60's (Can you imagine.. we averaged 150,000 steelhead on the Klamath and it's tributaries.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1960s-avg-fish-counts.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	17720
    Last edited by tcorfey; 02-08-2022 at 02:33 PM.

Exactly, why I quite fishing in California-It just sucks....cheaper to fish in Mexico where you catch fish all day long-Screw California

Carl Blackledge

I prefer to not dwell in the past, and live for the future. Like my next fishing trip. I only wish more people thought that fishing in CAL "sucks" and didn't go out so I could have the water all to myself. Caught this big 'un the other day and had so much fun I'm going out again tomorrow. It's a trout not a steelhead and if that sucks, well.......................
    Good fishing still exists in CAL if you know where to look and you can't catch them from your keyboard.

Can't imagine how good you guys must have had it...Klamath in the fall, Pit, McCloud, Truckee, lower Sac, Yuba, smallmouth and especially largemouth pretty much everywhere in the state, various eastside stillwaters and rivers, Pyramid even though that's NV.

There are so many fisheries that I am pretty content with today. The Russian, Gualala etc another story... I don't have the same context that older fly fisherman have being 30 yo, but if it sucks today man I wish I could’ve fished it 30-50 years ago.

Nice fish wlredband.

Well with only 1.5 million people that have fishing licenses in a stat of 40 million people the culture of the great outdoors is fading away. Only 275,000 people in this state buy hunting licenses. People are too worried about social media and words. They want more houses and people to live in a severely stressed resource state. The wildlife is gonna go first.

I am not going to dwell on the past either...I fished most of the glory days in my life, And now the fishing is so poor, It's just not worth it to waste my time, By the way that old spawned out fish your holding isn't worth a picture, in my opinion

Carl Blackledge
    Last edited by Carl Blackledge; 02-09-2022 at 05:13 PM.

You'd be wrong about that fish Carl. The spawn is about a month away. Every big male up here looks like that right now.

Sorry man, I shouldn't have said anything about your fish, When I fished the Russian most of the wild fish were chrome plated and only traveled a few miles to spawn, even the spawned out ones put up a decent fight.

Carl

Fishing in California is great if you know what you're doing and go to the right places at the right time.

PS Awesome fish, Wildebrand.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Blackledge View Post
    Exactly, why I quite fishing in California-It just sucks....cheaper to fish in Mexico where you catch fish all day long-Screw California

Carl Blackledge
    cheaper? maybe if you live in Mexico...

not everyone needs to be catching fish all day to enjoy their time on the water, hence why we switched to fly fishing - to give ourselves more of a challenge.

also, it sounds like you don't know where to fish in CA...