Thread: Great ahi day

Default Great ahi day

Aloha went offshore and had a great day getting ahi. this is a 20lber on a popper.

50 lber on a popper

80lber on chunk bait. The other fish took a while on my spin rod, so my arms were sore. Fought another 50lber but the hook pulled under the boat. I put out the chunk and told Eric it was his turn. When this one hit I gave him the rod. He fought it for 30 minutes, but his wrist was sore, so I took over. Fought it for another 20 minutes and it came to the surface. We saw a green shadow in the chop and thought it was a shark. I was pissed cause I have spent too much time and energy lately fighting sharks, so I buttoned down the drag and put the wood to it. fish swam up to the boat, and I tell Eric to get ready and cut the line, and Eric says, Hey bra, it's one ahi not a shark. I am like whoa shit, back the drag off and he gaffs it. Lesson learned, never cut the line until you see the fish!

Lots of nice sashimi. Would have been a great day to get one on the fly, but boy are my arms tired from using small game tackle
    Don Memmer

Way to GO Don!
    When you mentioned "popper" on your first couple of fish I immediately thought you were using one of those Rainy's Poppers on your fly rod. But then you mentioned a 50#er, and I thought differently.

What a really great day Aloha, Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180