Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McCloud river streamers

Default McCloud river streamers

What streamers are used (successfully) on the Mccloud ? Any colors or pics I can look at ?

I have done ok with Kelly Galloup's Sex Dungeon's there. Olive and white have worked well, also black at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
    What streamers are used (successfully) on the Mccloud ? Any colors or pics I can look at ?
    I find that anywhere trout swim a sculpzilla represents a good starting point. I like this fly because it can be fished in a number of different ways...dead drift, high stick, strip, swing, on a floating line or tip, and all are pretty effective. All the colors are good but to me the olive is always particularly fishy.

I can see I have homework to do. I"m not familiar with any of those flies. I haven't been there in 20 yrs. Black and olive buggers were the go to. In late summer I did ok with little yellow sally's. But this time of year I will be going subsurface. Yubaman and PV - you gave me what I was looking for. Thank you both.

Slump buster in olive . If the water is clear no flash. Little bit of flash if it’s a little dirty.

I have done best with crayfish and sculpin imitations.

I can see I have homework to do. I"m not familiar with any of those flies. I haven't been there in 20 yrs. Black and olive buggers were the go to. In late summer I did ok with little yellow sally's. But this time of year I will be going subsurface. Yubaman and PV - you gave me what I was looking for. Thank you both.
    Good luck, but note that unless something changed on the regs this year, the lower part of the McCloud doesn’t open until late April.

OK - as usual, for my family, I did not set this up destination. My kids did, and they don't fish. They said "how about the McCloud." I said, I'm in. At the very least, if I'm too far away from fishable waters, I will play with my fishing gear. I have not completely read and understood the regulations, but I will. I will fish even if it's in the mud puddle behind the hotel.

PV - tcorfey - smitty - yubaman ; each of you have given me information that I consider valuable. How are you guys fishing these streamers ? Steelhead swinging, dead drift, bottom dredging ? And Pssst - I won't tell anybody. Mums the word.

OK - as usual, for my family, I did not set this up destination. My kids did, and they don't fish. They said "how about the McCloud." I said, I'm in. At the very least, if I'm too far away from fishable waters, I will play with my fishing gear. I have not completely read and understood the regulations, but I will. I will fish even if it's in the mud puddle behind the hotel.

PV - tcorfey - smitty - yubaman ; each of you have given me information that I consider valuable. How are you guys fishing these streamers ? Steelhead swinging, dead drift, bottom dredging ? And Pssst - I won't tell anybody. Mums the word.
    All this info is good and all but the most important info you should be asking is type of fly line you should be using with the streamers. The only fly fishing I do these days is with a dry rod or a streamer rod. And I have about 6-8 different types of streamer fly lines for specific types of water OR specific rivers just for trout. It all depends on the depth, river flow, and speed of retrieve you’re trying to achieve. Streamer colors won’t matter if you’re not in the zone where the fish are hanging out. You’ll be pretty frustrated on the mccloud if you’re using a floating line for streamer fishing. You could use a LONG leader but you’ll be roll casting a lot more than over head casting in the mccloud. So a long leader wouldn’t be ideal. If you’re fishing buckets a jig style streamer that’s heavy will work if you’re tight lining it. But best results I’ve experienced there is heavy line to get down quick so you can cover water for those big browns. Just my two cents.
    Last edited by Rossflyguy; 02-05-2022 at 06:33 PM.

From what you are saying, it sounds as if I'm set up pretty well. I most often start my casts with a roll cast. I have all the teeny lines and also several different full sink lines. I'll typically go with a 5' leader subsurface. I'm glad that you pointed these things out because I didn't even think to mention them.

Thank you Rossflyguy