Thread: Headed to the Big Island in March

Default Headed to the Big Island in March

I am heading to the Big Island with a buddy and our families in a couple of Months. Looking for a guide/skiff willing to do some inshore fly fishing for any and all species in the area. Thanks in advance for any help.

Maury,

Get ahold of Don Memmer. He posts on this board all the time and would be my first choice for some inshore fly fishing. As for a boat, you can rent a nice center consel with all the gear cheaply at Honokahou Harbor. The last time Jim and I went, we did that and took Don with us to give us some pointers and share in the fun.

If he's still around I've gone out several times with Capt.Del Dykes. Both he and his wife are big into fly fishing offshore. His wife holds several records for Big eye on the fly. We've also fished the FADs with him and had great times too.

Lastly, you can also fish the shoreline everywhere on your own. Lots of places right near Honokahou and north. But if you want to learn the area get ahold of Don. He'd be my first choice.
    Aloha, Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Maury,
    Here's the link to renting a boat. I've used them several times and it really is a good deal for on your own.

http://www.konaboatrentals.com/

Make your reservation ahead of time and be sure to tell them you're a Captain/Guide as well. Great fun and you can't get lost as you're always within site of land. The guys at the rental place are good about giving you suggested places to fish.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Maury,

Take a look at Don's post from today. You'll definitely want your 12wt. or bigger for these.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Tony, Mems caught those fish on bait, NOT A FLY

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Blackledge View Post
    Tony, Mems caught those fish on bait, NOT A FLY

Carl
    Just cause he caught them on bait doesn't mean he's not a competent fisherman, or that the fish aren't there...

NK

Great information Tony, this what Bill's BB is all about. Not headed that way anytime soon but appreciate reading intell to help others, good on you.

Hey Don's a great fisherman, fly or conventional. Don't knock someone who doesn't always fly fish. Some people troll
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

Web site: http://www.fliesunlimited.com/

Email us at: jaysflies@me.com

Call us at (831) 809-4221