Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Colors

Default Fly Colors

Question, I have been fishing for over 40 years and this year a buddy of mine has gotten me so dead set on fly fishing now. It is something that I have wished I done years ago. Anyways, what makes a fly color "the one" for the day?

For instance, one day I could throw a Red Copper John and hammer the trout. Then it does nothing but if I change to a gold color or brown, that one works. What is that you guys do to say, hey today looks like a red day versus a copper or silver one. I know the old saying, dark days, dark colors but sometimes it not true. Appreciate any input. Be safe on the water! Right now I am at about 21" for my personal best bow in a river.

Only the fish know why

Default "Only the fish no why"

When Salmon or Steelhead fishing, can't argue against that statement. I do believe that old premise, "bright day, bright fly; Dark day, dark fly" as it has served me well over the years. Obviously, nothing works every time, so, when whatever you're doing isn't working be ready to adapt and change....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

It certainly seemed that way on the Eel river last weekend. Very bright outside with sun on water and my buddy and I both hooked into an adult on orange flies with other grabs. Didn't get any interest on black flies. Salmon river, I'd think its more of a steelhead/salmon thing. Trout can be color picky too, but trout fishing is more a matter of actually trying to present something that imitates what they are eating, at least much more so than steelhead fishing, whether it's mayfly, stonefly, caddis, nymph, emerger, adult etc. Other than fishing a Red Copper John or San Juan Worm sometimes, for trout the flies I fish tend to be olive, black, brown or rust colored, not so much bright colors like pink, blue, chartreuse, purple, orange etc. as I will for winter steelhead.

Darian,

I also use the same theory as the dark day dark fly, bright day shinny fly. I have been in a pram line up on the Smith river and we are all using just about the size and color fly, when suddenly somebody casts out a 4 inch black leach and gets a bite and then lands 3-4 in a row...That type of fishing will drive you crazy - there isn't any rime or reason. my 2 cents

Carl Blackledge

Lots of good rules or theories about lure/fly colors.

In low light level use larger, dark colored lures or flies.

During bright light levels use smaller, lighter colored artificials/flies/lures.

They say match the fly size first, then the shade in the gray scale and next color.

Most use flies that are bigger than the naturals.

There are too many variables in fishing to count.

One thing I use to tell new combers is to go fly fishing as much as you can and the odds will be with you.

I read a lot about fishing over my entire lifetime.

I listened to old timers who had fished for many years.

I worked on my fly casting.

" Keep your fly in the water."

Don't give up too easily.

Keep your hooks sharp.

Check your fly, knots and leader occasionally.

Check to be sure your reel is on tight.

Make sure your ferrules are tight and straight.

I went fishing with good anglers and paid attention.

Today I watch more YouTube fly fishing videos than I care to admit to.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

when it comes to steelhead, if you fish any color except the one I am fishing you will probably do well...because it seems they never like what I'm throwing at the given moment.

I try to go by dark day dark fly, bright day bright fly to K.I.S.S. If nothing is happening or I dont feel confident, I will go to my confidence pattern, Black Leech with an Orange bead.

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    when it comes to steelhead, if you fish any color except the one I am fishing you will probably do well...because it seems they never like what I'm throwing at the given moment.
    I'm about to throw a snorkel on and scout ahead because I'm pretty sure that I'm swinging through empty runs.

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    THIS.

I thought it was just me..