Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    The thread started with this very concise and germane post. How in the world did this conversation get derailed into yet another redundant bobicater discussion? That should be a different thread. Or no thread at all.
    Agreed. Let's get to more pressing issues........pegged beads.

The thread started with this very concise and germane post. How in the world did this conversation get derailed into yet another redundant bobicater discussion? That should be a different thread. Or no thread at all.
    Thanks Ralph. Yeah, the moderator derailed it into a bobber convo. All I was trying to say was don't fish to spawning steelhead, and ESPECIALLY don't do with with clients if you are a guide!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    Agreed. Let's get to more pressing issues........pegged beads.
    what about pegged beads under a bobber with split shot

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    what about pegged beads under a bobber with split shot
    With Dr. Juice.

With Dr. Juice.
    I like Mike’s sardine oil better

Back to the post, I watched a guide fish to steelies on redds at the head of the island at Sailor Bar a few years back (Italian last name, but I don’t recall it). When I pointed it out to him, he explained that they were “targeting the alpha, or non-spawning, male” (there were 2 bucks and a hen). When I recounted it on another forum, it was suggested that the American was an “alpha-sustaining system”, and he was an official alpha sustaining system guide, or an ASS guide. Which led to suggestions that he could have Official ASS hats, and similar fun.

But yeah, fishing redds is a problem on almost any river. I’ve seen Little Truckee guides posting pics of big browns with freshly torn tails, and heard about the same in CO and MT. It’s constant on the American and, apparently, the Yuba. Worse when guides do it, because that makes it okay in their client’s eyes. And worse, it’s mostly fly fishermen from what I’ve seen. I’ve called it to their attention in the past, both angrily and in a friendly way, and it’s received about the same way every time. I don’t know the answer - there are fly fishing classes, fly tying classes, casting classes, but I’ve never seen a fishing etiquette class. Unless you are one of us that had mentors who taught us etiquette, it may be a lost cause. Like many other parts of society today.

I know who you are talking about

If you never offend anyone you are not living right.

When I had the fly shop I had to keep my opinions to myself because many would boycott you for almost any reason.

I thank God for onset of Spey casting in the North West of America.

It took a huge bite out the indicator Steelhead community.

I would guess in the winter the indicator anglers catch 10 to 1 over classic fly fishers swinging flies?

Fall fishing would be a little more even.

60 years ago I would out fish most other anglers on the lower American river in the Fall using night crawlers for Steelhead.

I made my own custom spinning rods on fly rod blanks with the help of Edwolt's Rod and Reel Repair's nice staff.

Over my long career in the fishing business I met very few people who actually started out fishing with a flies.

One of my dearest old buddies, Tom Moore, grew up fly fishing with his dad who belonged to an old fly fishing club on a trout stream.

Some people do not start fly fishing until they get retired......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by hwchubb View Post
    Back to the post, I watched a guide fish to steelies on redds at the head of the island at Sailor Bar a few years back (Italian last name, but I don’t recall it). When I pointed it out to him, he explained that they were “targeting the alpha, or non-spawning, male” (there were 2 bucks and a hen). When I recounted it on another forum, it was suggested that the American was an “alpha-sustaining system”, and he was an official alpha sustaining system guide, or an ASS guide. Which led to suggestions that he could have Official ASS hats, and similar fun.

But yeah, fishing redds is a problem on almost any river. I’ve seen Little Truckee guides posting pics of big browns with freshly torn tails, and heard about the same in CO and MT. It’s constant on the American and, apparently, the Yuba. Worse when guides do it, because that makes it okay in their client’s eyes. And worse, it’s mostly fly fishermen from what I’ve seen. I’ve called it to their attention in the past, both angrily and in a friendly way, and it’s received about the same way every time. I don’t know the answer - there are fly fishing classes, fly tying classes, casting classes, but I’ve never seen a fishing etiquette class. Unless you are one of us that had mentors who taught us etiquette, it may be a lost cause. Like many other parts of society today.

Absolutely nail it.