Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Targeting spawning valley steelhead sitting on Redds

Quote Originally Posted by fivefingers View Post
    I want your bag of skills.
    Swing a sculpin, drift a skwala, alevins under a bobber in slower eddies/current seams are good…

Love warm Januarys on the Yuba, lots of options of things to do and try, often in short sleeves.

Hey Tayler,

I think this post was mostly about standing on or fishing in the Redds, I don't think most people care what kind of rod you use or if you use bait or a bobber, at least I don't

Carl Blackledge

Quote Originally Posted by TaylerW View Post
    I fish a bobber with a fly rod and often a spinning rod too. Cast flies with a spey rod or a spoon with my bait caster. I dry fly fish and troll the ocean, and regularly fish with bait. Same nails, different hammer. I simply do not agree when people say “it’s not about catching fish”. If that was the case, there would be no guides, fly shops or the amazing gear that has been developed to catch fish. I am a fisherman. I enjoy catching fish. I use the appropriate method for the conditions at hand. I’m not going to frame a house with a finishing hammer…..
    100% agreed. We are fisherman first before being labeled as a specific type of fisherman. I love dry fly fishing the yuba in Feb and March as long as trolling for land locked kings and big browns on big swim baits isn't red hot. As far as the people dredging redds at the yuba I guess the spawn is over at putah creek. There’s always gonna be those people. They all run out of their cars and grab a spot just above the bridge. Line up shoulder to shoulder. It’s sad.

I was one of those guys that fished before school and had a 22 rifle in the gun rack of my pickup at high school. The gun rack was the first thing I added to my truck when I got it. Bottom rack had a ruger 22 and top rack had some type of fishing rod at all times. Funny I was just telling some people how you used to be able to walk in a sporting goods store and buy a gun and walk out same day. They couldn’t believe it. Also the part about always having a rifle in the back window of my truck. It was a jaw dropper. I just said we were a lot more free and responsible back then. Then I dropped the bomb about how I used to ride my bike to thrifty drug store and get a ice cream cone and 500 rounds of 22 ammo when I was a kid. Defiantly a different world now.

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    Swing a sculpin, drift a skwala, alevins under a bobber in slower eddies/current seams are good…

Love warm Januarys on the Yuba, lots of options of things to do and try, often in short sleeves.
    Oh. We're talking about the Yuba trout. Thought we were talking about going for winter steelhead. Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by timmosazz View Post
    I was one of those guys that fished before school and had a 22 rifle in the gun rack of my pickup at high school. The gun rack was the first thing I added to my truck when I got it. Bottom rack had a ruger 22 and top rack had some type of fishing rod at all times. Funny I was just telling some people how you used to be able to walk in a sporting goods store and buy a gun and walk out same day. They couldn’t believe it. Also the part about always having a rifle in the back window of my truck. It was a jaw dropper. I just said we were a lot more free and responsible back then. Then I dropped the bomb about how I used to ride my bike to thrifty drug store and get a ice cream cone and 500 rounds of 22 ammo when I was a kid. Defiantly a different world now.

Yes Tim,

We were so dam lucky to be born when we were.

Funny though, we go to rural America and lots of it is the same there now as it was during our childhood except instead of bicycles the

kids ride ATVs from farm to farm and to go fishing and hunting. God bless America.......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Well, since we are talking Steelhead, I can't tell you about the lower Yuba river today, but I can let you know that myself and ten others had no luck on the lower American river today. No one I talked to today even had a grab.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Yes Tim,

We were so dam lucky to be born when we were.

Funny though, we go to rural America and lots of it is the same there now as it was during our childhood except instead of bicycles the

kids ride ATVs from farm to farm and to go fishing and hunting. God bless America.......
    Lets hope it stays that way out in rural America and maybe it can creep back into the places it has been lost.

Quote Originally Posted by E.Drucker View Post
    Got your attention? good.

There are reports of some seasonal guides on the Yuba targeting spawning Steelhead sitting on Redds with their clients.

Please if anyone sees stuff like this going on, say something!

This behavior isn't acceptable for anyone, ESPECIALLY guides who certainly know better.

The thread started with this very concise and germane post. How in the world did this conversation get derailed into yet another redundant bobicater discussion? That should be a different thread. Or no thread at all.

Quote Originally Posted by fivefingers View Post
    Oh. We're talking about the Yuba trout. Thought we were talking about going for winter steelhead. Ha!
    There’s steelhead in the lower Yuba river.