Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Targeting spawning valley steelhead sitting on Redds

Wlredband,

I personally don't care how anybody else fishes, with a indicator or not just like you said, however if they fish or walk on the Redds I think they have just shown the World there true character and their piss poor ability to catch fish in the normal and accepted manner, If I seen them I would point and laugh at them as clowns.

my 2 cents

Billy -

I have been around with you as my friend for the majority of your 60 year exposure to fly fishing. And I agree with everything that you have described regarding indicator fishing...absolutely everything!

Best, Bob

Guess it takes a different generation to take a different approach to Fly Fishing and acceptance of all other anglers in the sport sharing the same passion. Good for those that live that dream and do it for a living as long as they are ethical.

In my opinion I think the close minded stubbornness I and others have been witness to is fading out and the new open minded generation is coming in.

Now to see if we will ever be hypocritical to the the next few generations and what they bring to the sport as it evolves, doubtful but who knows?

Not saying I am perfect in any means, just hate seeing separation like this in an industry that should be for all without boundaries or labels.

Unethical practices however are not within us and our industry.
    Last edited by Spicytuna1; 01-27-2022 at 02:19 PM.

Carl - amen. thank you for sticking to the point of this thread

Sometimes it's nice to get it off your chest. lol
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Blackledge View Post
    Sometimes it's nice to get it off your chest. lol
    Carl
    ATTA BOYS" to you !!!!!!!!!!!!! For those comments. gene

I just don't want true classic fly fishing to go away for the new commers with only a steady diet of indicator fishing.

When I started working in a large sporting goods store in the late 1960s there were actually very few nymphs to buy?

All we had were classic streamers, classic winged wet flies and dry flies.

We grew up learning to tie small flies and matching the hatch in the smooth surfaces with the help of wonderful people like Bob

Quigley and Andy Puyans. Today I don't think they sell "spinner" pattern in local fly shops. Bead head nymphs pay the rent.

People go annually to place in Idaho and Montana just to be able to wade and dry fly fish for wild trout.

Part of the problem in my lifetime is the fact that our fisheries are down about 90% over the past 50 years so fishing is tougher.

When I was a teenager almost everyone caught fish, even the "Clueless."

In the 1950s hunting and fishing in northern California was to die for.

The week before the opening day of pheasant season the sporting goods store I worked in had to hire about 6 more people just to sell

hunting licenses and tags. I wish my grandkids could have seen California back then.

There would be over 100 small boats trolling at the mouth of the American river and lots of salmon would be caught.

In the Spring time when the Striper spawning run was head up the Sacramento river thousands of boats where in the water daily from

San Francisco to almost Red Bluff. Most where using cut fresh Sardines for bait.

In the Fall there were trailer parks between Sacramento and Redding that were full of hunters and fishermen because the Salmon and

Steelhead fishing was so good. We had world class pheasant and duck hunting as well.

In South Sacramento we had a large group of guys in high school who fished, hunted and partied together.

Many of those old friends still hunt and fish in their 70s today. The are the true American Outdoorsman.

It was common to see guns in gun racks in the back windows of many pickup trucks.........even in our high school parking lot.

It was a really different world back then. Many of us hunted and/or fished before and/or after school.

When we go to rural South Dakota today we see rifles and shot guns in gun racks in pickup trucks.

Back then a friend of mine would take the Greyhound bus in the summer to Salinas where his aunt and uncle managed a large ranch.

He would get on the bus with his .270 scoped hunting rifle slung over his shoulder and a duffle bag.......not today folks.

Some of my good friends/customers moved away to rural America for the better fishing when they retired.

Here is Florida I don't think you could find any indicators to buy?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I'd say this kind of pressure back in the "good old days" might be a part of the reason fishing is down 90% today? IDK, but over 100 small boats trolling for salmon and thousands of boats Striper fishing mayyyyybe have something to do with the these "problems in your lifetime".

Nostalgia sure is great, but here we are right?

"There would be over 100 small boats trolling at the mouth of the American river and lots of salmon would be caught.

In the Spring time when the Striper spawning run was head up the Sacramento river thousands of boats where in the water daily from

San Francisco to almost Red Bluff. Most where using cut fresh Sardines for bait.

In the Fall there were trailer parks between Sacramento and Redding that were full of hunters and fishermen because the Salmon and

Steelhead fishing was so good. We had world class pheasant and duck hunting as well"

I’ve yelled many times at people fishing redds, while fishing or out for a bike ride, it really pisses my off! They just stand there starring at the redd waiting for that perfect opportunity. On the bobber note, might as well grab your spinning or center pin rod with your favorite bobber or float and start starring at that yarn ball waiting for it to go down. For many bobber fly guys it seems to be a numbers game. I’ll take one fish a year on the swing, nothing like that bone jarring grab! Just the joy of actually being on the water and casting a fly rod and swinging that fly cross current is just therapeutic.

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    Kinda dumb to do that when you can rope fish legitimately with half a bag of skills this time of year.
    I want your bag of skills.