Thread: Trolling motor for Watermaster Kodiak raft?

Default Trolling motor for Watermaster Kodiak raft?

Hi,
    I just bought a Watermaster Kodiak and want to put an electric trolling motor on it for Stillwater fishing and maybe the Fall River.

I have the watermaster anchor system/motor mount.

Looking for info regarding 30# vs. 55# of thrust, and 36” vs. 42” of shaft length. Don’t want to overkill, but also only want to buy once.

Any info will be appreciated.
    Thanks, Jim

Get the 55#. The 55# is only slightly heavier than the 30#, and you use the same battery, so that weight stays the same. You won't need the 55# in stillwater, but the 55# will move you much faster in moving water like Fall, Baum, etc if you plan on motoring upstream. The only negative tradeoff is cost, and battery life (55# sucks more juice).

In terms of battery weight, the new lithium rechargeables are much lighter than lead acid (about 1/3 the weight), but are incredibly expensive.

The 36" shaft link will fit your Watermaster, since it sits relatively low. The only negative tradeoff there, is the 42" will be easier to re-sell as the market is much better for longer shaft motors since you use them on "real" boats.

I am right with everything WLREDBAND posted.

I have had a Minn Kota Enduro tiller 55# 12v in 42" for many years on a Jon boat on the transom.

They still sell this original model but also have an advance technology now called the Minn Kota Enduro "MAX" now.

This newer model is supposed to get more hours out of your battery. More efficient.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/minn...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Electric trolling motor info:

If you run your electric motor at full speed it really eats up the energy in your battery.

Try to charge your deep cycle batteries as soon as you can after a day of fishing.

I would not use a standard 'open' deep cycle lead-acid battery.(~$100) I would get an AGM sealed lead-acid.(~$200)

The best for several reasons are the Lithium batteries that are lighter, run longer but are expensive.(~$800)

Store your batteries fully charged.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Lithium pricing is getting very competitive. Do your research. Ionic brand is $699 for the 100 amp hr battery; Chins is $509; Dakota is 899. 10 minutes of research will provide great information. Check You Tube videos by Will Prouse; he is a great researcher and educator. Other brands are cheaper, and prices are lower now than 06/2021 when I saw these prices quoted.

Thanks for the help. I’m going to go with the Endura max or Traxxis.
    Tight lines, Jim

Jim how do you find the boat itself?

I've been thinking about it myself, the new outcast model is cheaper but out of stock every where

Quote Originally Posted by Goz View Post
    Hi,
    I just bought a Watermaster Kodiak and want to put an electric trolling motor on it for Stillwater fishing and maybe the Fall River.

I have the watermaster anchor system/motor mount.

Looking for info regarding 30# vs. 55# of thrust, and 36” vs. 42” of shaft length. Don’t want to overkill, but also only want to buy once.

Any info will be appreciated.
    Thanks, Jim

Jim, Do you have the optional WM Attachable Boat Bottom? On still water, the Kodiak Boat will move easier & faster so the battery should last longer plus, if you are not clumsy, you can stand up to cast.

I've had a Kodiak for several years and love it.

Jim

I haven’t had it on the water yet. Going to use it on a lake to get comfortable in it before I take it on the river. I have put in a lot of float tube time and lots of ocean kayak experience, but only a couple of pontoon floats. Can’t wait to float the Yuba soon.

JayDubP,
    I ordered it and should arrive soon.
    Let me know if you like to do a float/shuttle. I’d love to go with someone experienced with the Kodiak. I’ll buy lunch or beer.
    Jim