Thread: Pyramid Report 01/12/2022

Default Pyramid Report 01/12/2022

Sorry for the day late report.
    I kinda' passed out last night after I got home.

Yesterday was my first trip to the lake in about a year so I hit the rack early Tuesday night.

I blasted off around 7:30 a.m. @ 25 degrees hoping to get through Reno after the morning commute.
    The drive to the lake wasn't bad ............ the drive home was fugly in the "Spaghetti Bowl" construction area.

Arrived at the "southern beach I like to frequent" around 9:00 and was greeted by pal Carmen.
    We chatted for a little while and the word was that it's been VERY slow ....... even for him.
    Carmen pointed out "this guy from Idaho" had landed a fish yesterday ......... humm, long drive for a fish .......

I was in the water and casting my cator' rig(s) around 9:45, a slight south wind, and was hoping for the best.

The south breeze kind of fizzled out around 1:00 and Carmen hooked up as the water flattened out.
    Unfortunately, his hook up turned into a LDR after about 5 seconds.

The wind then switched to the North and produced a nice "indicator chop" on the water for the rest of the day.

I fished my two rigs (BL + midge and midge + midge) switching every so often, and fished near, far out, deep, and shallow with ZERO results.

I MAY have had one strike on the double midge rig, but my eyes were going crazy at that point so I'm going with the "crazy eyes" theory.

Also of interest, I saw a fish hit the surface a mere 20 feet away from me right at the ledge.

So, from what I saw, three fish were hooked and all were LDR'd, none landed and I finished with a big old Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pe pe.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	17651.

Yep, I finished yesterday spending $ 24.00 just to practice casting.

As I was packing up, the "guy from Idaho" came up to me and we started chatting about the poor fishing and finally got around to introducing ourselves.
    He said his name was "Klaas".
    Instantly my brain went into overdrive and I asked if he ever posted on Kiene's Fishing Board.
    He said "yes", and I said that I had answered a question or two about fly lines or rods at Pyramid a couple of years ago on the board.
    We chuckled a bit and he asked me if I was the guy that included "Dang Cutthroats" in my Pyramid Reports.
    Ha, ha, ha, I guess it's nice to be known for something.

Since I wanted to beat the evening commute back through Reno, we said our goodbyes and well wishes.

Klaas, nice to meet you and put a face to your name.
    Maybe sometime we'll bump into each other again and share some fishing stories !!!!!

For the "disappointing ride home" yesterday .......... my small thermos of vegetable beef soup and some peanut butter cookies.

And this one's for you Klaas .................Dang Cutthroats.....................................

Bob
    Last edited by BS; 01-13-2022 at 12:14 PM.

heck yea Bob, good to see you got out there, and even better to know you're kind famous!

Quote Originally Posted by BS View Post
    Sorry for the day late report.
    I kinda' passed out last night after I got home.

Yesterday was my first trip to the lake in about a year so I hit the rack early Tuesday night.

I blasted off around 7:30 a.m. @ 25 degrees hoping to get through Reno after the morning commute.
    The drive to the lake wasn't bad ............ the drive home was fugly in the "Spaghetti Bowl" construction area.

Arrived at the "southern beach I like to frequent" around 9:00 and was greeted by pal Carmen.
    We chatted for a little while and the word was that it's been VERY slow ....... even for him.
    Carmen pointed out "this guy from Idaho" had landed a fish yesterday ......... humm, long drive for a fish .......

I was in the water and casting my cator' rig(s) around 9:45, a slight south wind, and was hoping for the best.

The south breeze kind of fizzled out around 1:00 and Carmen hooked up as the water flattened out.
    Unfortunately, his hook up turned into a LDR after about 5 seconds.

The wind then switched to the North and produced a nice "indicator chop" on the water for the rest of the day.

I fished my two rigs (BL + midge and midge + midge) switching every so often, and fished near, far out, deep, and shallow with ZERO results.

I MAY have had one strike on the double midge rig, but my eyes were going crazy at that point so I'm going with the "crazy eyes" theory.

Also of interest, I saw a fish hit the surface a mere 20 feet away from me right at the ledge.

So, from what I saw, three fish were hooked and all were LDR'd, none landed and I finished with a big old Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pe pe.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	17651.

Yep, I finished yesterday spending $ 24.00 just to practice casting.

As I was packing up, the "guy from Idaho" came up to me and we started chatting about the poor fishing and finally got around to introducing ourselves.
    He said his name was "Klaas".
    Instantly my brain went into overdrive and I asked if he ever posted on Kiene's Fishing Board.
    He said "yes", and I said that I had answered a question or two about fly lines or rods at Pyramid a couple of years ago on the board.
    We chuckled a bit and he asked me if I was the guy that included "Dang Cutthroats" in my Pyramid Reports.
    Ha, ha, ha, I guess it's nice to be known for something.

Since I wanted to beat the evening commute back through Reno, we said our goodbyes and well wishes.

Klaas, nice to meet you and put a face to your name.
    Maybe sometime we'll bump into each other again and share some fishing stories !!!!!

For the "disappointing ride home" yesterday .......... my small thermos of vegetable beef soup and some peanut butter cookies.

And this one's for you Klaas .................Dang Cutthroats.....................................

Bob
    Dang cutthroats...it's been a weird season so far. If I go sometime this weekend, I will report back!
    ..."I'd rather be fishing..."

Peter V

This is the guy from Idaho. Fishing was indeed slow and I landed 14 fish in 6 days. That equates to more 100 miles driven per fish. On Thursday, I landed a couple of 10+ pound fish. A 14 pounder in the morning and a 19 pounder shortly after sunset which made the trip worth every mile of driving. Between these two fish, I didn’t have a single strike. So it goes at Pyramid, fishing can be very slow but your next hook-up could be a “dang cutthroat” of a lifetime. This place has me hooked. I will be back in March! Btw, nice meeting you Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Klaashutter View Post
    This is the guy from Idaho. Fishing was indeed slow and I landed 14 fish in 6 days. That equates to more 100 miles driven per fish. On Thursday, I landed a couple of 10+ pound fish. A 14 pounder in the morning and a 19 pounder shortly after sunset which made the trip worth every mile of driving. Between these two fish, I didn’t have a single strike. So it goes at Pyramid, fishing can be very slow but your next hook-up could be a “dang cutthroat” of a lifetime. This place has me hooked. I will be back in March! Btw, nice meeting you Bob

Snicker-----snicker----- snicker..........

You've got "Pyramid Fever" there Klaas !!!!!!!!

Hope you had/have a safe trip back home.

Maybe we'll bump into each other again sometime in March.

Dang Cutthroats.....................................

Bob

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	366041D5-B1F4-41EE-804E-0B8FA745E147.jpeg 
Views:	111 
Size:	171.9 KB 
ID:	17691

Pyramid Fever

Great thread, Bob you always bring the smiles- thank you.

Chatted to one of the staff in sun valley Idaho Outfitters who travelled to pyramid last year with a group of 8 and loved it, going back in March.

Just back in bay from 6 months in Idaho v I'm going to try my first trip this winter likely early Feb. going to be trawling the forum pages for info. Hope to see you on the water Bob