Thread: Fernie Bulls?

Default Fernie Bulls?

Just found out that I might be in the Fernie, BC area for a few days late next July. I've already heard about the amazing Cutthroat dry fly fishing that I'm gonna check out, but I read a few things saying that there's some decent Bull trout fishing. I've never caught a Bull, and they're a bucket list fish for me, so I definitely want to try that out too. Just wondering if anyone has any helpful tips for fishing in the area, other than checking out the fly shop! Thanks!

NK

I think the best Cutthroat fishing is Aug/Sept up there so you should be good.

I don't think the average size Cutthroats are very big but it is mostly classic dry fly fishing.

A friend has a family place up there because they loved it so much.

He uses a 4 weight for most of his dry fly fishing for Cutthroats.

Bull trout ( Char) are big predators of the Cutthroats and are usually caught early morning, late evening, or during bad weather with

large streamers. I think a 6 or 7 weight rod would be best with some kind of fast sinking line, short heavy leader and large streamers.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I was just looking into going to the Metolius a month or two ago for bull trout. Everyone I talked with said I should use an 8 wt. with large streamer fly that imitate Kokonee. In the spring the Kokonee come out of Lake Billy Chinook and the bull trout gorge on them. In the fall after the Kokonee have spawned and died they use large flesh flies and bounce the bottom for the bulls that are eating the dead Kokonee.

If you go in the fall the bull trout are in full color. The rest of the year they look medium brown speckled.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Thanks for the tips! Any advice on how large should I tie them?

NK

I was up that way maybe 15 years ago. Good Cutt fishing, but no Bulls, and it wasn't from lack of trying. The BC non-resident fishing license back then was about $55 for seven days and then the rivers with bulls in them are considered "classified waters" and you needed a special permit to fish them, which was another $22. I would wager it would be more now. Some of the classified rivers are The Elk, The St. Mary, The Flathead and The Wigwam. I focused my efforts on the last two, which were the most remote and see fewer anglers. Like I said, the Cutt fishing was good, not great, but good. I dredged every deep pool I saw with some kind of streamer, mostly Clousers, hoping to hook into a bull, but I came up empty. The country up there is absolutely amazing! Super steep rocky mountains and rock formations almost every which way you look. Very beautiful and dramatic.
    Last edited by Fly Guy Dave; 01-18-2022 at 12:47 PM.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/

Bull trout are reported to be widespread in Idaho. My dentist's
    folks live in the Sun Valley area and he has done
    battle with them on occasion.

Best to all and Happier New Year,
    Larry S
    Sun Diego

Fished it in July , lots of good Cutts . Fished above Fernie , limited access with real long floats . Used pmx's . No help from local fly shop ! Fished some other nearby rivers , watch for logging trucks ! Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Natekursow View Post
    Just found out that I might be in the Fernie, BC area for a few days late next July. I've already heard about the amazing Cutthroat dry fly fishing that I'm gonna check out, but I read a few things saying that there's some decent Bull trout fishing. I've never caught a Bull, and they're a bucket list fish for me, so I definitely want to try that out too. Just wondering if anyone has any helpful tips for fishing in the area, other than checking out the fly shop! Thanks!

NK
    I fished with Elk River Guiding Co several years ago and loved it. Fished the Wigwam River for Bulls and did well - but be warned this is walk and wade with a lot of walking - so if you are not in decent shape, pass.

Jim

Thanks for all the tips! If I make it up there I'll be sure to post a TR.

NK