Thread: 6 months in Sun Valley, Idaho

Default 6 months in Sun Valley, Idaho

Spent the first few months of 2021 sheltering in place with my family. Kept sane tying flies and getting weekly deliveries from Kiene's - super fast service.

In July we headed to wife's parents condo in Sun Valley and finally heading back to our new house in San Rafael next week.

So I've had a chance to fish regularly, unlike living in SF, been getting out every week to Silver Creek, Upper Lost and Big Wood. Amazing time. Didn't land any monsters but lots around 20" and just fantastic to get fishing regularly. Favorite, as always, was the big hatches on Silver Creek in a float tube but also loved wading Upper Lost river in Copper Basin area.

Will try post a few photos.

Happy New Year to all.
    Steve

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	56E18AA0-F0C1-4A0D-B9B5-ADE0F9BFBD30.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	244.7 KB 
ID:	17632 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E0AD9E8E-0831-406F-87F3-506FC46DB8E5.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	217.8 KB 
ID:	17633
    Last edited by steveg137; 01-09-2022 at 10:23 AM.

If you have to shelter in place, not a bad place to do it. The Upper Lost is one of my favorite places anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    If you have to shelter in place, not a bad place to do it. The Upper Lost is one of my favorite places anywhere.
    Agree so wild up there!

Most, like I, only get/got to visit Silver Creek for a few days. To be a "regular" or "local" at Silver Creek for a season is an incredible experience. It's like getting to be a foreign exchange student/studying abroad for a year where you get to really dial in on culture, etc. Length of time spent there is far more valuable vs. size of fish hooked. I misplaced my beautiful picture/poster of the S-Turns during a move many years ago. Bummed.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanSunfish View Post
    Most, like I, only get/got to visit Silver Creek for a few days. To be a "regular" or "local" at Silver Creek for a season is an incredible experience. It's like getting to be a foreign exchange student/studying abroad for a year where you get to really dial in on culture, etc. Length of time spent there is far more valuable vs. size of fish hooked. I misplaced my beautiful picture/poster of the S-Turns during a move many years ago. Bummed.
    Agree. Got to fish it for 3 months summer and fall 2020 and 5 months 2021. Fortunately didn't blank on any day, had lots of double digit days and also missed a whole ton of fish. Getting time enough to feel confident to fool a few fish each trip was a real luxury. Then I'd fish a new stretch and really struggle...all part of the challenge.

Thousands of anglers fly fish that area every year for many decades but very few will ever get to be there for 6 months.

That is a magical part of America and I was lucky to fish it with some of the best anglers I know.

Thanks for sharing you amazing experience with us............
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks Bill, agree I've been very fortunate.

Trying to upload a few more photos Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20F57B7A-A208-4E5F-A341-E1DAB5DDEA4E.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	17649
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	56B1474A-86BC-4A86-8910-01297CC218D9.jpeg 
Views:	47 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	17650