Thread: Bezos buys an estate on Maui with his own fishpond

Default Bezos buys an estate on Maui with his own fishpond

My friend Bob Duerr just wrote an article in Hawaii Fishing News about Bezos buying an estate on Maui for $78 million. It was the Carter estate, south of La Perouse beach, south of Makena. Well it has its own fish pond and now Bezos has guards out on the point to keep anyone out of the pond and the private beach. No one is supposed to own a beach in Hawaii, but you can own a fish pond and keep people out. The place is called Keone'o'io or Sands of the Bonefish. I doubt Bezos fly fishes. While researching this I found a cool video on fishing Molokai. The guy finally gets one and also a milkfish and a Papio. Great photography, but I can't believe he only landed one.

http://chasingscale.com/sight-castin...okai-bonefish/
    Don Memmer

I am surprised more people don't fish Molokai?

It is the most undeveloped of the Hawaiian Islands.

It has the highest sea bluffs in the Pacific.

On the backside it had a colony for people with Leprosy.

The people of Molokai wanted to succeed from the USA until they realized they would loose all that federal funding.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

http://hallelujahhoufishing.com/

Captain Clay for the deluxe trip and you will land more than one! Molokai is a trip worth making Full on culture shock flying in from Maui. Real Country and the folks there are pretty protective of it still. Don't think Bezos could not walk in there and buy property like he did on Maui. Let's hope Molokai stays as it is. It has its problems with Mangrove infestation and some algae as well.

Hey, I could not get near those ponds out there at La Perouse. A few years back security told us to beat feet. Real bummer because I always wanted to get back there after seeing those Bones in 1973 and not much of a saltwater fly guy back then.

Holy Cow, That was quite a read. I couldn't finish in just one sitting. Really good info too. I've got to go back to it and re-read some of the stuff again.

Don, have you fished Molokai before and did you go freestyle or hire Hallalujah Hou to get you started?

I'm always ready to try something new someplace, but I don't think I'm up for a kayak yet. Any thoughts? Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Hey Tony, I fished Molokai for a weekend. First of all the bonefish do eat there. They are big, and you do have expansive flats. My problem is to get there I have to fly to Oahu and then to Molokai so it is two flights. It cost me over a grand to fish for 2 days. It was fun but there are some draw backs. We did hire Clay for a day of guiding. I had sold him some TFO rods a while back and had talked to him before. We fished the flats just West of Kaunakakai harbor. first day he guided us, 2nd day he just dropped us off and then picked us up. You need a negative tide early in the morning. The flats are muddy and normally waist high. The winds come up about 10:30 every day and it then howls. I joked with Clay as to why he charges for a full day when you can only fish until noon, and he told me not to tell anyone. I laughed. We caught a number of nice bones largest one for me was 9 lbs. I also got some nice papio in the rock, coral outcroppings. I found one small school of juvenile bones, but they net them there so mostly you get ones over 6lbs that rip through the nets. They eat tan mantis shrimp patterns there very readily. It is the best bet in Hawaii for a double digit bone.
    Molokai is old school Hawaii, but the locals are very anti-tourist. You should go with a local like Clay or ask the homeowner before you go across their beach. They call it the friendly island, but my two friends almost got into it with a couple of guys outside the friendly market. We were getting food for the condo and they started to hassle my friends, haole go home etc. I busted out some pidgin and told them i was from the Big Island and they left me alone, but I told them to read the sign of the market. I told them flyfishermen were great they only spent money and let the fish go. We drove back to the condo after some cocktails at the Molokai hotel and on the way we ran into an axis deer that barked like a dog. We stopped the jeep and the dam deer head butted the jeep. I said look guys even the animals here are unfriendly. At the condo there were only Canadians on time share at the pool and playing tennis. Walter Riddey had cut the water to a Jack Nicholas gold course there that was now just brown grass. The Canadians wanted out of their timeshares. Beautiful beach, but void of life, caught one small papio at the condo. The Oahu aquarium guys had depleted the reef stocks. Molokai is a gold mine with upland birds and deer and great bonefishing, but they don't want to see it developed. I understand both positions.
    Don Memmer