Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yuba clarity

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    Tough to say, the lack of spotting below the lateral line is indicative of steelhead genetics IMO, but I have my doubts that too many of those sub-20" fish venture down to the Bay with any frequency. I think when you connect to a 23"+ fish in that river there's a good chance it's been down in the salt at least a bit. But who really knows short of having them radio tagged.
    I leadered a nice steelie on the American in mid-January. Had a dorsal fin tag but I never got to see if he had credentials or got a picture. Does CDFW do tagging here? Would be neat to see the fish's journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Troutsource View Post
    Attachment 17711

Caught this on the Yube Saturday, probably 18”-19”. 6 hours of fishing, one hit, one fish, but at least he had some size.

Curious if anyone can tell if this is a steelhead or trout? Tail seems larger than normal and it has a nice snout. The lice I don’t think are from the ocean. You can see the fly I caught him on (high sticking) in his mouth - a CDC carrot fly designed by Devin Olsen.

There was a constant but very light baetis hatch most of the day despite a lack of clouds. No Skwala. 1-2 caddis. Very minimal surface activity. River was crowded and the Mad Max crew was tearing it up all day on their ATV’s and they weren’t quiet. Water temp was 49. Beautiful day even if the fishing was slow.
    By CDFW definition that is a steelhead, In reality who knows
    I say every big rainbow in an anadromous river is a steelie just to make myself feel better

Tough to say, the lack of spotting below the lateral line is indicative of steelhead genetics IMO, but I have my doubts that too many of those sub-20" fish venture down to the Bay with any frequency. I think when you connect to a 23"+ fish in that river there's a good chance it's been down in the salt at least a bit. But who really knows short of having them radio tagged.
    PV thanks. Based on that this fish looks pretty chromish. He gave a great fight, spooling me 4-5 times.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Attachment 17711

Caught this on the Yube Saturday, probably 18”-19”. 6 hours of fishing, one hit, one fish, but at least he had some size.

Curious if anyone can tell if this is a steelhead or trout? Tail seems larger than normal and it has a nice snout. The lice I don’t think are from the ocean. You can see the fly I caught him on (high sticking) in his mouth - a CDC carrot fly designed by Devin Olsen.

There was a constant but very light baetis hatch most of the day despite a lack of clouds. No Skwala. 1-2 caddis. Very minimal surface activity. River was crowded and the Mad Max crew was tearing it up all day on their ATV’s and they weren’t quiet. Water temp was 49. Beautiful day even if the fishing was slow.
    That's a great fish no matter what.

Well done!

spooling me 4-5 times.
    were you using a 1wt?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Dement View Post
    I leadered a nice steelie on the American in mid-January. Had a dorsal fin tag but I never got to see if he had credentials or got a picture. Does CDFW do tagging here? Would be neat to see the fish's journey.
    Hatch brats get tagged at some frequency. Maybe 5%? Tagged fish are regularly caught on the Trinity, etc. But these are not radio tags. They are just basic tags applied at the hatchery with no tracking capability to say "this fish was tagged at this hatchery by this staff member on this date".

The nice thing is that a good chunk of those tags have a cash reward attached to them, $10-100 range. That said it is interesting to see how fast they move. I caught a tagged fish between DC and Lewiston on the Trinity that was tagged at Willow Creek less than a week before I caught it.

Hatch brats get tagged at some frequency. Maybe 5%? Tagged fish are regularly caught on the Trinity, etc. But these are not radio tags. They are just basic tags applied at the hatchery with no tracking capability to say "this fish was tagged at this hatchery by this staff member on this date".

The nice thing is that a good chunk of those tags have a cash reward attached to them, $10-100 range. That said it is interesting to see how fast they move. I caught a tagged fish between DC and Lewiston on the Trinity that was tagged at Willow Creek less than a week before I caught it.
    When I was on the Trinity in October I saw several zombie salmon with tags in their dorsal fins

were you using a 1wt?!?
    OK, you got me. I was using a 3wt Euro rod (Shadow X) with light tippet, so the fight was extra fun. I usually try to bring them in fast even with light tippet to save the fish's energy, but I was pinned at the edge of a gravel ledge with fast water coming over the top. One step downstream and I would be swimming. One step upstream and the water would be too fast to land him. So I had to wait until he was tired, then slide him on the surface into my net. It gives me great satisfaction to replay the whole scene.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

He gave a great fight, spooling me 4-5 times.
    That's crazy. Been fishing a long, long, time for just about every species of game fish, and have never been spooled, though I've had masheer get uncomfortably close to doing so. I've purposefully broken off snagged chinook so that I wouldn't get spooled. Getting spooled 4-5 times by the same fish on the Yuba, no less, must have been be a memorable event.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    That's crazy. Been fishing a long, long, time for just about every species of game fish, and have never been spooled, though I've had masheer get uncomfortably close to doing so. I've purposefully broken off snagged chinook so that I wouldn't get spooled. Getting spooled 4-5 times by the same fish on the Yuba, no less, must have been be a memorable event.
    I will set my drag even lower to impress even more people in the future!

Maybe "spooling" was the wrong term. He made my reel scream several times with long runs.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river