Thread: Classified Beware-Red Flag

Default Classifieds Beware-Red Flag Warning

All,

Just a heads up, it appears there has been some scamming taking place on another popular Fly Fishing forum. Individual offers up desirable items at very good prices and then does not deliver/ship after payment. I have attached some examples below, that seem similar to items now offered on Kienes, good prices and new member with no photo's attached, etc....note the similarities in User names.

https://www.washingtonflyfishing.com...hreads/169340/

https://www.washingtonflyfishing.com...hreads/169179/

https://www.washingtonflyfishing.com...hreads/169391/
    Last edited by GLC; 01-01-2022 at 05:43 PM.

Hi GLC. I've said I'd correct the record if the boots I ordered from this guy magically showed up, and I will, but I think it's a safe bet that's not going to happen at this point. However, if you're a member of this other board, I would do them a service by letting them know that I can positively confirm that this same individual is posting under at least four different user names between the two boards and using four different phone numbers as well, one of which is no longer in service and the other three either don't have voicemail set up or have a generic greeting with no name recorded on the greeting. I can't describe it all in a concise way, but he has overtly listed the same things in different posts in a couple cases, and in others, he sent me photos and/or descriptions of other items that he offered to sell during our text "conversation" that have appeared in some of these other posts, down to the exact same photos of the exact same flies for instance. The user names in question are Eggflyguy and Bluewingolive2 on the Kiene forum and Waflyfish911 and Mopflyguy on the WFF board. I'm kind of blown away that this guy is going to this much trouble to scam $50, $70 and other comparatively modest amounts, but I guess it adds up at some point.

John,

I would contact the guy who runs that Washington board, A long time ago somebody else didn't get what they ordered and payed for and this administrator said he would make it his life's work to figure out who the guy was and call the police, hell it's worth a shot ? Perhaps Bill can give you some insight? Good luck

Carl

It's a good idea to use the sticky props thread in the classified section! If you've had a good transaction with someone, let everyone else know.

Hi Carl. Bill has been very gracious with assistance when I reached out earlier about Bluewingolive2, though I haven't contacted him since I discovered the clear overlap with the user Eggflyguy on this board.

I'm not a member of WFF, so I don't know if I would have any way of seeing who runs that board or contacting him, but I'll look into that too. Thanks.

John, I have a stupid question? Why would these guys run a scam on some small time items? I could see if it was some high dollar stuff, soon as the first guy got screwed seems like it would be all over the BB...

Anyway I hope you get your money back

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Blackledge View Post
    John, I have a stupid question? Why would these guys run a scam on some small time items? I could see if it was some high dollar stuff, soon as the first guy got screwed seems like it would be all over the BB...

Anyway I hope you get your money back

Carl
    Completely agree! It would take a couple paragraphs, and maybe a flow chart, but those four are all undeniably tied together. In some cases, if you look at all the posts, he has been careless enough to list some of the same items in different threads under different names. A couple of the other connections are ones I (and maybe some others he communicated with) are only able to make, because he had texted me (when he was supposedly Bluewingolive2) the exact same pictures of the flies and descriptions of rods that he later posted under other user names. Thank God I didn't bite on any of those, or I'd have been out even more. Like you, I'm weirdly fascinated by all the trouble - setting up different profiles, different numbers, etc. - for comparatively small "paydays". He'll get his though.

Quote Originally Posted by John_N View Post
    Completely agree! It would take a couple paragraphs, and maybe a flow chart, but those four are all undeniably tied together. In some cases, if you look at all the posts, he has been careless enough to list some of the same items in different threads under different names. A couple of the other connections are ones I (and maybe some others he communicated with) are only able to make, because he had texted me (when he was supposedly Bluewingolive2) the exact same pictures of the flies and descriptions of rods that he later posted under other user names. Thank God I didn't bite on any of those, or I'd have been out even more. Like you, I'm weirdly fascinated by all the trouble - setting up different profiles, different numbers, etc. - for comparatively small "paydays". He'll get his though.
    That sucks. Hope you get your money back. These intimate forums you like to think there's a sense of community - which there is - but there are low life's everywhere I guess. Perhaps the person gets some enjoyment out of it or is desperate. Regardless as you say they will get there's eventually.

Don't buy from anyone who excepts Venmo....There is no recourse when you get scammed