Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Trinity Report

Yep BC that buck we swung up three years ago today really sucked

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    Yep BC that buck we swung up three years ago today really sucked
    Yup it sure didn't. Lol.
    Swung 2 runs today and both spots produced a chrome dome a piece today. They both hit the piss outta my fly mid swing. Love swinging for winter steelhead. So many styles techniques lines tips n fly options. Freakin love it.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

The lower Trinity river is almost a year round fishery for trout, steelhead and salmon.

Unless you have lots of time to invest I would go with a fly fishing guide to shorten the learning curve.

Adventurous souls start down in the lower section below Willow Creek in Sept/Oct, some skating muddlers on top for SH.

Seems like the SH move up the river in November after some rain.

I think from December on people fish the upper sections.

The upper river was famous for huge Brown trout who gorged themselves on small salmon fry.

When Joe Shirshac took us there in the 60s and 70s access was much better than today so "drive, walk and wade" was very good.

On that smaller river we roll cast and swung with #7 weight fly rods with a floating line, mono leader and #4/6 dark classic wet SH fly.

This was way before indicators came into the picture.

Actually, back in those day we never saw a drift boat, raft or PFD on the river. Never......

Steelhead veterans Mike Murphy and his cousin Denny were the first I heard to float the river in a small raft.

Mike told me that after floating the river they realized they were missing lots of good water by only driving the river for access.

Walt Bennet, Joe Patterson and others from the California Fly Fishers Unlimited actually fished the Trinity river before the dams!

Once I asked local SH legend Walt Bennett were he thought the hottest Steelhead were in his life time?

He said it was the Trinity river, before the dams. He said those wild Steelhead were so hot they would actually break his leader.

I am actually in the first part of the movie, "Rivers of a Lost Coast" in old Super 8 movie footage by Joe Shirshac.

I am on the lower America river across from the fish hatchery and on the Trinity river around Junction City.

Back then we wore chest high #100 Seal-Dri seamless, pure latex, stocking foot waders.

In the old footage I have on a camouflage hooded sweat shirt.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Most years bill there's actually fish from the dam to the mouth in Sept. This year I was able to guide from Sept to mid Oct straight with the river almost to myself and only swinging with great success. This year's run was epic as the tribe was unable to put up the illegal Trish tang weir. So we saw more fish and bigger fish as the nets and weir didn't select those fish out. It was and still is awesome.
    I'm always up here guiding early Sept some years even July and August depending on rain fall. I'll start targeting Lower river Del Loma and Willow Creek starting in Oct and Nov, sometimes Dec if the flows are on the Lower side. Once the big rains come it's pretty much pigeon up and a random day down in Del Loma.

If you know what you are doing, you can get fish swinging this river year round.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

Thanks Brian......

I have to admit that my experience on the river was many years ago.

I am excited to hear your updated info and it makes me very happy.

Some years ago I did get intel that Herb and his guides where way down there in October swinging dry muddlers.

We appreciate your reporting on that lovely little river.

What is the info on the summer/fall salmon runs?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by BumpBailey View Post
    Hey PV that sounds cool! I am watching the flows and probably won't commit until later in the week. And with this next bit of news you may want to find other gravels bars to fish than I. My wife advised me that I get to have the dog this weekend. A 2 year old yellow lab who will want to be in the water as much as I will want my fly to be. So, if I do make it up this weekend I will have a rambunctious dog with me(That is putting it nicely).... This may end up being more of a me getting the dog acclimated to fishing than it is for me to fish.... That and finding a place to stay with said dog has so far not gone well.

Upper SF should be in primo condition by the weekend though. Don't want to miss out on that.

Jay
    I hear you, also watching the flows here. I think the SF will be in the "green", I was hoping to also hit the VD, but it looks like it may be borderline. I'm not sure how muddy it's been this year but last year was a dam mess with that big slide.

Right now my tentative plan is to go to Garberville on Friday afternoon, fish the SF on Saturday from the top down, stay in Fortuna Saturday night and hit the VD on Sunday, then go over to Lewiston on Sunday night and hit a few spots on the T on Monday before driving home... If the VD is in crappy shape I would boogie over to the T sooner.

But I am also thinking about running the circuit in reverse, I just hate having that long drive home on Monday afternoon/evening.

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    I hear you, also watching the flows here. I think the SF will be in the "green", I was hoping to also hit the VD, but it looks like it may be borderline. I'm not sure how muddy it's been this year but last year was a dam mess with that big slide.

Right now my tentative plan is to go to Garberville on Friday afternoon, fish the SF on Saturday from the top down, stay in Fortuna Saturday night and hit the VD on Sunday, then go over to Lewiston on Sunday night and hit a few spots on the T on Monday before driving home... If the VD is in crappy shape I would boogie over to the T sooner.

But I am also thinking about running the circuit in reverse, I just hate having that long drive home on Monday afternoon/evening.
    While the weather looks outstanding for the near future, the river drop is really slow now due to snowmelt, I believe. With the exception of the SF and the Mattole, the rivers are pretty high and forecasted for a painfully slow drop into next week. Sometimes however, the rivers will be green when this happens, but still high and swift. Other times the snowmelt in the small tribs can create muddy conditions.

I think the SF will be the only guarantee. And of course everyone else knows that too. It will be a complete zoo this weekend.

The weekly Kenny Priest report comes out on Thursdays. His reports are usually very reliable when it comes to river conditions up there.

Please post a report if you do go. That would be much appreciated.

~Jeff

It is such a gamble for me coming up from the south bay. But, I am leaning towards going for it. According to the fantasy flows by Saturday the flows at the Miranda gauge will still be high compared to ideal flows but, less than flows I've fished in the past, for whatever that is worth. And yes, you gotta figure it will be crowded this weekend and most will be up top. But, being that it is just me and the dog this weekend, what have I got to lose? If you see a dude in a 4 Door Blue F150 with a yellow lab, say hi and let's have a beer and exchange fish stories!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    I think the SF will be the only guarantee. And of course everyone else knows that too. It will be a complete zoo this weekend.

The weekly Kenny Priest report comes out on Thursdays. His reports are usually very reliable when it comes to river conditions up there.

Please post a report if you do go. That would be much appreciated.

~Jeff
    Yeah, I anticipate the SF will be a zoo. I am also kicking around Redwood Creek as an option if the VD isn't fishable. Even popping over to a couple southern Oregon small streams in my mind as a contingency.

The problem is that it's generally only about once a winter that the flows, my personal and work schedule, and the weather all align to enable a coastal trip. This is that weekend, so I'm going, even if it means things are not 100% perfect. I will post some updates when I get up there.

This weekend is looking like a good window. The snow melt can be a wild card as far as clarity. Id be up there but am staying home and floating the russian both days, speaking of zoos. Been fishing an hour before work this week and its definitely fishable, way more fishable than ive seen it at 1400 cfs due to such a slow drop. Good luck to everyone, id like to see some pictures of coastal winter SH to keep me motivated