Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trinity Report

Default Trinity Report

An old high school buddy and I headed up to the Trinity on Tuesday and Wednesday. We got pretty lucky as far as weather by not bailing on the trip. The flows were good and the river was in good shape. Needless to say, we caught it on the drop with just about 0 other fishermen out. It was a tad cold, but not as bad as was forecast, mornings were around 28 degrees, afternoon about 38. We caught snow each night and had snow flurries during the day.

We seemed to be between a push of fish, some that had been in there pushed upstream with the rain, and hopefully another run was on the way. We got into fish each day, not great numbers or huge fish, but reasonable numbers with a couple of decent fish each day. Mostly wild fish as well. Some were pretty bright fish, some had been in the system longer. We did a couple of lower floats down towards Junction City. First day we worked the Upper section pretty hard, second day the lower section, with about the same results.

The weather gave me a chance to break out my Olympic Peninsula gear right here at home. Sadly, we heard that the Cafe' on Main, a really good restaurant in town ( the old La Grange Cafe') is shutting down for good today. We were able to get a meal in there on Tuesday evening, and it was good.

It was nice to get out! Happy New Year's!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0432.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	17609Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0436.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	17610Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0458.jpg 
Views:	367 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	17611Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1724.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	17612

Back in the 1970s almost no one ever floated the Trinity river.

Drive, walk and wade fishing was easier with much more open access.

Indicators had not been invented yet.

The Trinity river was always noted for getting extremely cold in the winter.

Integrated sinktip lines were new on the scene.

Can you imagine that our Sacramento old timers like Walt Bennett, Joe Patterson, George Martin and Joe Shirshac actually fly fished the Trinity river before the dams?

The Greatest Generation had the best fishing and hunting in America in the 1930 to the 1960s.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Yuba man thanks for the report and the great pictures! Good job getting in to them!

We are actually going to tie in a couple of days of drift fishing with a couple of days of wade fishing over on the coast in a couple of weeks. Give the arms a workout with some single hand 8 weight casting. Thankfully I know from experience that getting a nice fresh Steelhead on out there will involve some hiking to catch up with him.

Trinity is fishing pretty darn well this year, I haven't fished for nor caught a steelhead since January of 2021...sadly many of my favorite swing runs are still in the NF closure area down below Big Bar.

Have a hall pass next weekend finally, and my big dilemma is the decision between Eel/VD/Redwood Creek vs. Trinity/Klamath/Scott. If the forecast for the upcoming week holds true the coastal rivers could be in excellent shape...but we will have to see. Might do Eel/VD/Trinity as a compromise, but it's a tough call.

I like the way you're thinking PV. Thinking I might be heading up the 'ol 101 next weekend myself. If weather plays out like currently predicted, those coastals should all be in good shape!

Quote Originally Posted by BumpBailey View Post
    I like the way you're thinking PV. Thinking I might be heading up the 'ol 101 next weekend myself. If weather plays out like currently predicted, those coastals should all be in good shape!
    If you want to get together and swing some runs give a shout, my plan may be easily influenced by someone else's prodding...

As of now I am only able to head up Friday afternoon and need to be back by Monday dinnertime-ish.

Pv you don't wanna swing the T it sucks
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    If you want to get together and swing some runs give a shout, my plan may be easily influenced by someone else's prodding...

As of now I am only able to head up Friday afternoon and need to be back by Monday dinnertime-ish.
    Hey PV that sounds cool! I am watching the flows and probably won't commit until later in the week. And with this next bit of news you may want to find other gravels bars to fish than I. My wife advised me that I get to have the dog this weekend. A 2 year old yellow lab who will want to be in the water as much as I will want my fly to be. So, if I do make it up this weekend I will have a rambunctious dog with me(That is putting it nicely).... This may end up being more of a me getting the dog acclimated to fishing than it is for me to fish.... That and finding a place to stay with said dog has so far not gone well.

Upper SF should be in primo condition by the weekend though. Don't want to miss out on that.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Clemens View Post
    Pv you don't wanna swing the T it sucks

Swinging on the T in the winter is a tough game!

Is the road closure above Big Bar still in effect?