Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Trinity Report

I am saying a little prayer to the Steelhead Gods for you.

Many years ago when we were on the Gualala or Garcia I was happy to see anyone fight one of those fresh beasts.

Talk about fresh wild fish.......it was magic to even watch others do battle.........even bait fishermen.

If it was not for my "Gezzer Patrol", old friends from the Greatest Generation, I would not have gone over there.

Great fly fishers like Joe Shirshac, Walt Bennett, Joe Patterson and Al Perryman took us with them to the coast.

Then us Baby Boomers would take the next generation with us like Galen Geller, Paul Keel and Phil Romig.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

The South Fork is emerald green and perfect. I got into 3 of my favorite swing runs this morning before the fog lifted. No dice. It’s very crowded, and I gave up on it upon finding my other lower river runs occupied already.

The Van Duzen is high and turning green. I’d classify it as chalky green with 28” visibility. I swung 3 runs below Bridgeville, nothing doing. It needs another 1-2’ of visibility.

The main Eel is a hybrid of brown and green in the Scotia stretch. It needs 5 more days, maybe more.

This info is priceless.......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

See you on the morning man. I'll bring the scotch
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

Brian and I met up at Redwood Creek today. The color of the river was good, chalky green and 4’ of vis. The flow was still a bit high for easy wading and moving around. If the creek was about a foot or so lower it would’ve been perfect. We tried a few different things but didn’t get too much action.

I’m in Fortuna tonight and will try again on the VD tomorrow before the long drive back home.

I did a quick trip up to the Eel myself on Saturday. Hopped around on Saturday and fished pretty hard first thing yesterday as I knew we had a little thing with the Niners and The Cowgirls later in the day. On Saturday I started just up river from Piercy. 3' visibility and a juicy looking run but nothing. Hit the Benbow area and it was in good shape as well. Then finished the day down in the Phillipsville and Miranda areas where visibility was closer to 2' and it was a little pushy. Hit the Landsdale Bar first thing yesterday morning. Had that whole bar to myself until about 10:30 when I packed it in. Flow was still a little heavy but clarity had improved to about 3'. SF should be perfect for the next few days. I didn't see any fish or see any signs. Didn't seem overly busy. THere were definitely boats out there but I didn't find it tough finding a place to swing. I hope to see someone post a pic of one of these Ell River Ghosts!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Misty Eel.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	4.48 MB 
ID:	17675
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rocco in The Eel.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	3.57 MB 
ID:	17674

Finished my trip off this morning back on the Van Duzen. The flows, water color, and my casting were all perfect, but once again the fish didn’t get the message. Started the long drive home on time and just rolled into town about 30’ ago.

This has been my 4th trip to the coast, you think I’d have been due. Alas, was not the case I guess.

Thanks for the updates gents! Started a new job last month, will make it tougher to schedule sales calls up that way so I may not make it this season, living vicariously through all of you.

I have a buddy who is up on the Mad at the moment - he just bobber fishes, but I image he will light it up. He usually does.

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    Finished my trip off this morning back on the Van Duzen. The flows, water color, and my casting were all perfect, but once again the fish didn’t get the message. Started the long drive home on time and just rolled into town about 30’ ago.

This has been my 4th trip to the coast, you think I’d have been due. Alas, was not the case I guess.
    Don't feel too bad PV. My buddy and I are in the same boat as you. We've each landed a 1/2 pounder up there but, have yet to hook up with an adult on the swing. Last year we took my drift boat up there for the first time. Mostly as a shuttle but we would do some indicator fishing between swing runs. We each hooked into one nice fish over a 4 day stretch but, neither of us were able to keep them on and get them to the boat. My hook up was over in seconds! I've yet to try the VD. Outside of a couple of parks and the mouth, it doesn't seem too accessible.

Well, back to reality and the watching of the weather and the flows.

Quote Originally Posted by BumpBailey View Post
    I've yet to try the VD. Outside of a couple of parks and the mouth, it doesn't seem too accessible.
    Yes, in many cases it requires some creativity. But it's doable...