Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Trinity Report

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    While the weather looks outstanding for the near future, the river drop is really slow now due to snowmelt, I believe. With the exception of the SF and the Mattole, the rivers are pretty high and forecasted for a painfully slow drop into next week. Sometimes however, the rivers will be green when this happens, but still high and swift. Other times the snowmelt in the small tribs can create muddy conditions.

I think the SF will be the only guarantee. And of course everyone else knows that too. It will be a complete zoo this weekend.

The weekly Kenny Priest report comes out on Thursdays. His reports are usually very reliable when it comes to river conditions up there.

Please post a report if you do go. That would be much appreciated.

~Jeff
    Man, you weren't kidding. This drop is sloooooooow.

I’m optimistic about the VD and Redwood. I’ll be on the SF Saturday but keeping the VD as a contingency if the SF is too crowded.

Worse case PV, we hit the trinity cuz it totally sucks. And don't bother even trying a scandi line tapered leader and a muddler and trying to raise a fish. No way that would happen in Jan with water temps below 40deg. LOL.......

"If you swing it, they will smash it"
    BWC
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

Looking forward to seeing you my friend. I’m feeling good vibes for a coastal encounter or two for us this wknd.

Me too man, me too. Time to take the swing game to a whole other level. First time on the coast for me, can't wait.
    I'm hoping to hit the NU this year. 2019 was my last year, in 2020 my boy was born. Talk about a river that you will earn your PHD in steelhead swinging. The amount of knowledge one will learn from it and then use it down here......swing game amplified
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

Mid-February is the peak "average" timing for the California North Coast Steelhead runs.

By then the rains have cleaned out the rivers and the flows are more constantly up.

One of my quests for my lifetime and 50+ year career in the fishing tackle business is to ask questions to thousands of people who

either seriously fish a particular fisheries or local guides who know them well.

So my answers hear are not necessarily my own opinions, but the opinions of thousands of top angler and top guides.

I think the "Prime Time" for any fishery is the most important info in all of fishing.

I will call tackle shops and fly shops in an area of interest and ask them questions about "Prime Time" or "Prime Times" for

their fisheries. This might sound silly but I might ask them "If you had a friend or relative who wants to come fish in your area for a

month when would you tell them to come?"

I have people email me weekly wanting help planning a trip somewhere and I start doing

my research for them.

I also get email or texts or phone call from people wanting advice on purchasing a boat that is right for them.

Intel or Info is key to fishing success.

I also highly recommend going out during "prime time" with a recommend fly fishing guide unless you are one of those gifted anglers

who catch fish on every time you go out. ( small joke).

Again, contact me for help with anything to do with fishing, boats, RVs........?

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Mid-February is the peak "average" timing for the California North Coast Steelhead runs.

By then the rains have cleaned out the rivers and the flows are more constantly up.

One of my quests for my lifetime and 50+ year career in the fishing tackle business is to ask questions to thousands of people who

either seriously fish a particular fisheries or local guides who know them well.

So my answers hear are not necessarily my own opinions, but the opinions of thousands of top angler and top guides.

I think the "Prime Time" for any fishery is the most important info in all of fishing.

I will call tackle shops and fly shops in an area of interest and ask them questions about "Prime Time" or "Prime Times" for

their fisheries. This might sound silly but I might ask them "If you had a friend or relative who wants to come fish in your area for a

month when would you tell them to come?"

I have people email me weekly wanting help planning a trip somewhere and I start doing

my research for them.

I also get email or texts or phone call from people wanting advice on purchasing a boat that is right for them.

Intel or Info is key to fishing success.

I also highly recommend going out during "prime time" with a recommend fly fishing guide unless you are one of those gifted anglers

who catch fish on every time you go out. ( small joke).

Again, contact me for help with anything to do with fishing, boats, RVs........?

You're the man Bill. At least half of what I have learned about fishing for these chrome ghosts has come from these pages. My first spey casting lesson was with Andy at The Watt Ave Bridge and I was off! Without the help of this community I probably would've given up on these fish a long time ago! There is a wealth of information here and I plan on putting that all to good use. I can't wait to feel the river's push tomorrow!

Thank you!

Have fun up there guys! I was supposed to be up there on Monday - Wednesday, but got hit with COVID on this past Tuesday . . . Bummer! Feeling AOK though.

You have to be a true dedicated angler to fly fish for Winter Steelhead.

50 years ago almost nobody ever guided fly fishing for Winter Steelhead because it was too unpredictable, even years ago.

Back then drift boat guides either pulled plugs or bounced roe for Winter Steelhead.

Today with Spey on the scene and the onset of indicators finally I see that some are guiding for winter runs.

I have old memories and I can still chat with others my age about some success we had over on the coast with Steelhead.

I was mostly a fall Steelheader anyway. Sept/Oct/Nov was my favorite time. Mostly on the longer rivers then.

A wild Steelhead is a magical thing................especially on a fly.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I’m in Garberville now. Didn’t fish today but the SF looks great. We will see if I can get lucky tomorrow.