Thread: My dirty 30 birthday goal.

Cool My dirty 30 birthday goal.

Good evening!
    My 30th birthday approaches in Feb. Lately I have been thinking about what to do. Life is so busy right now. For myself and everyone in the world. This 30th birthday is a milestone for me to say the least. My twenties were an intense competitive lifestyle in cycling, as well as the adaptation to solo riding cross bike for my own enjoyment and adrenaline. I broke just about everything except my wrist wrist and left leg over the course of my 29 years. Two hematomas on my brain from my first ever vehicle accident, on a Ninja 500r motorbike.. a life long brutalized shoulder finally had its moment in 2019 just as Covid arrived in our lives full spectrum, when I took my cross bike over what I thought was a berm and ended up being the 10' drop in to a dirt half pipe. A year with a separated collarbone, in November 2020 a pyramid shaped fragment was in some way unknown separated and logged into my rotary cuff where rush surgery was performed and a full shoulder reconstruction occurred. Jan. 26 I was able to leave and for what felt like months, I followed the process. In feb. I tried my first spey cast post surgery. And a soft roll cast on my new spey rod landed me my Pb steelhead. A weak and nursed arm I savored every second of our minute.

I'm pretty tired, but I enjoy wade fishing. I sure would enjoy finding someone to treat a tired vet to just a good calm day of fishing. Guide or polite host, any recommendations/input would be great. I prefer spey style fishing as a favorite and easiest for my arm, not an indicator guy.

If there's not a cost I'll provide a good lunch and some brews available for the day. I've never caught a brown on the fly, I'm always on the hunt for steelhead, that's really it. Pyramid trout I was able to witness and I'd love to get one on a fly rod, I don't have a car good for the drive but I can find a way if the opportunity is there.

I don't want to sit in a drift boat really as nice as it is to sit down these days. I just enjoy the ability to move and sit down when I need to.

So how long was the recovery from your full shoulder replacement. I've been putting mine off for at least 7 years now. I have bone on bone and my bone in my shoulder is completely flat and worn out. On top of that, I was told now my rotator cuff has slipped about an inch. At 75 I'm not looking forward to a 6/7 month recovery. I cam still cast the heavy rods but not more than 30 minutes. Then it's break time and then back at it.
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

Web site: http://www.fliesunlimited.com/

Email us at: jaysflies@me.com

Call us at (831) 809-4221

I had a pretty good shoulder surgery, maybe 10 years ago, that took an entire year before I felt anywhere near normal again.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Murakoshi View Post
    So how long was the recovery from your full shoulder replacement. I've been putting mine off for at least 7 years now. I have bone on bone and my bone in my shoulder is completely flat and worn out. On top of that, I was told now my rotator cuff has slipped about an inch. At 75 I'm not looking forward to a 6/7 month recovery. I cam still cast the heavy rods but not more than 30 minutes. Then it's break time and then back at it.
    I was very strict with the PT. I was unable to use/ or more my arm and upper body for the first six weeks, it took me about 8 weeks post surgery before i started tying flies, I have violent shaking in my operated arm for a few weeks. I started casting end of Feb, roll casting and water load casting, not so much over hand. Im still not 95% and Im not sure ill ever get there, but I am thankful the pain i was enduring is finally over. dealing with the aches is just how it goes. this being the first winter i am satisfied with how Ive come along. This was by far the most painful recovery for me out of all my injuries. I recommend just getting it squared away and moving forward. I dont lift push or pull anything over 50lbs right now, and have heavy muscle atrophy since I went a year with everything disconnected.

Two carbon, screws, two drilled holes in my clavical, a donated foot tendon, and as the surgeon stated, three hours of grinding down to bleeding bone to eliminate cartlidge and damaged tissues.

I had my shoulder operated on by a Dr. Greenfield of Kiaser Permanente off Morse ave. in sacramento.

You sound like me in my 20’s, racing mountain bikes, bombing downhills and twisting the throttle on the big bore dirt bike. Glad you’re doing well after shoulder surgery! I have had 2 surgeries on my right shoulder as well, and it is never going to be the same. Torn labrum, ac joint Acromioplasty and a Biceps tenodesis which involves detaching the LHB from it's superior labrum in the shoulder and reattached to the humerus bone just below the shoulder. I to love to throw the Spey rod, and it took a few years to get pain free while casting, especially off shoulder. Still get those winter month aches, can predict a storm and the arm still gets tired faster during an all day’r on the river. It is one hell of a pain coming out of that surgery, especially after the nerve block wears off. As for fishing, I’d hire Andy Guibord for a day on the river. Andy is great company, super fishy and just fun to shoot the shit with. You could reach out to Jason Hartwick up north to see if he has any openings which could be tough, but maybe a cancellation or something could come up. Happy early birthday to a fellow Aquarian and maybe see you around on the American. Cheers & Happy Holidays!
    Last edited by Mark Kranhold; 12-21-2021 at 08:36 PM.

Thanks for the recommendations! I often shoot the shit with Andy at the shop, sure would be a good time to get in a boat with him.
    The lifestyles sure do match up. I spent my last ten years on the bicycle, didn't get a car till this year lol. Many miles, many scars and some outrageous stories haha. I switched to fly fishing after the crash. Bills are just stacked for medical care so I needed something else haha. Man you are spot on with the nerve blocker. Once it was gone for the first week or two I wished it was still active lol especially for being a side sleeper.

I hear ya. As mentioned below, a good perk from the whole.operation is feeling when a rain is coming. Sure has been a wild year since the operation. Can't complain one bit on the fishing. Well over 300 shad, a double digit fall steelhead season, a PB steelhead day 1 fishing after surgery, my first salmon....Fishing has kept the thoughts of pain at bay.

Took me exactly one year to fully recover. The first three months are rough. I only wish I had done it sooner.

Took 6 months before I was back doing things but a full year before I had 100% recovery.

Torn labrum for me, took over a year to get it right.

My doc was adamant about following the PT rules to a tee, and was upfront over the timeline. I followed it and it still took 16-18 months, but I'm fully pain free now.

Of course i know I did something to the other side and fear doing this again!!!!