Thread: Green River Utah

Default Green River Utah

Has anyone used or have any recommendation for guides for floating the Green River in Utah? Going in June and starting my research now.

Any info is appreciated, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wdent View Post
    Has anyone used or have any recommendation for guides for floating the Green River Utah . Going in June and starting my research now. Any info is appreciated, thanks
    Call Gary at Kiene's during the week, 10am-2pm. He's been there many times and can probably help you.

(800)410-1222

Greg

I would recommend 'Trout Creek Flies' in Dutch John.

https://www.troutcreekflies.com/

Be ready for big dry fly terrestrial fishing and some crowds.

Float section 'B' to for less fishing pressure.

Good Luck!
    Jeff Putnam
    JP Flyfishing Schools
    http://jpflyfishing.com

Pretty area. I was there this summer just hiking around. Didn’t fish, the computers at the fly shop in Dutch John were down. I talked with a couple of the drift guides on the walk path down to the launch. They commented on how crazy it is there on the weekends. The weekday in early Aug. I was there, wasn’t that busy. I personally didn’t see very many fish caught but it was a off day.

Like Jeff said use the fly shop or just stop in.

There is a ramp up in the flows as high as 10,000 CFS in June for a native endangered species spawn lower on the Yampa River. It makes the self-guided hike along the river almost impossible. I have seen guides fish indicators bigger than ping pong balls, if not tennis balls, and more split shot in drop shot fashion (legal in Utah) during high flows. Straight down the river is a boat ride and a fast one at that. The DIYers in pontoons will race to the finish line (read as to the take out) with not much fishing. If you can get a guide to do the back eddies, you are in for a treat. Ask how long the guide has been fishing the river with varied flows when you are making your reservations. With the high flows, we never saw much in the way of dry fly as it requires some degree of targeting the edges and foam lines. Can't say it was due to the clients casting ability or if the number of fish caught was their goal. Add to that the rafting hatch will be out in full force and Forestry Service does not try to dissuade the rafters when the river is that dangerously high. We are reminded that it is a recreational area created for all.

That being said, there is a possibility of hitting the Cicada hatch as well. If you are able to get a guide, shoot for more than one day. The morning launch can be a real cluster (fill in the blank) with both guide boats and rafting groups. A late launch is advised if you want to get away from the crowds. Hopefully your guide is not set in his ways time-wise for getting off the river and will accommodate your wishes. Once you have your dates set up, get your license online thru Utah DNR before your trip, which can be date and time specific and avoids the chance of any computer issues at the shop as mentioned earlier. You can carry your license on your phone via their app. That is a nice touch. As far as starting your research now, good for you. Don't procrastinate too long in your research and get your guide days out of the way followed by lodge reservations.

Did a 3 day overnight float Last June in my brothers raft, think we barely missed the high water. It was around 700cfs. The put-in was absolutely outrageous as gitt said. Hundreds seemed more like thousands of Boyscouts and church groups getting on giant rafts. Very chaotic and we were wondering what we got ourselves into but once one the river everyone spread out fine. The A section fish do seem very wary and heavily harassed, and we hooked more and had more fun fishing below. The C section was comparatively remote, hardly saw anyone the last day. Down there we caught more Whitefish than trout, but did hook the biggest Browns there too.

I second Jeff’s recommendation for 'Trout Creek Flies'.

Last edited by Jcolin; 12-15-2021 at 08:55 AM.