Thread: Fall River by kayak?

Default Fall River by kayak?

Haven't been to the Fall before and wanted to check on the viability of using kayaks to navigate the stretch near the confluence of the Tule. We have SOT pedal-drive Hobies....is this a terrible idea?

Thanks

I see kayaks all the time on the Fall. There is no wading access, so if you're comfortable with fishing from them in slow moving water, go for it. Going upstream a ways may require significant energy! Not a terrible idea at all.

You might need an anchor on the rear.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by WLREDBAND View Post
    I see kayaks all the time on the Fall. There is no wading access, so if you're comfortable with fishing from them in slow moving water, go for it. Going upstream a ways may require significant energy! Not a terrible idea at all.
    A fun all day float/fish is to launch at Cal Trout and take out at the Dredge or even Rat Ranch. Used to be a guy who would shuttle. No idea if that option still exists.

I have been using my canoe on The Fall for years, both above and below the Cal Trout launch.
    As Bill mentioned, you may want to use an anchor at times. I carry two and anchor abeam.
    I have paddled there when it was very high, choosing to paddle up and drift back....when the wind would allow!...and when the current has been "normal" and I love it!

My only word of caution is, if you will be fishing later in the day, i.e.; After dark, make sure to carry a strong light! One night, on my way back downstream there were two boats screaming downriver, no running lights and I managed to get my headlight turned on in time for them to realize I was there! No fun....