Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stripers Kick Ass

Default Stripers Kick Ass

I spent five days over the Thanksgiving holiday in Los Angeles. Traffic was brutal but for the most part I dodged it. I saw a blue cow and ate a really tasty deep dish pizza in Long Beach but did not catch any stripers. I moped around a bit because I was not catching stripers but it was still a fun time and we had some tasty turkey and walnut pie.

Upon my return from Los Angeles I went to the Delta and was welcomed back by fog and a couple of pretty big stripers. The first big one stayed out of trouble and was landed without too much difficulty. The second one towed me straight into a dead tree and went underneath a submerged bush and around a point. I had a lot of line out, the kayak was stuck in the dead tree and the fish had me right where he wanted me. The line went slack for a heart stopping second and it seemed that all was lost but the line had only gone slack as it came untangled from the bush. The fish was still on and did me a big favor by heading away from the sticks and out to the middle of the slough where I was able to get him by the lip and take his picture. Hooking big fish in a kayak can be a wild ride. They can easily drag you around and because you have both hands on the rod you have no control and are going wherever they take you.

Stripers really do kick ass. Especially when the get up over ten pounds. It was great to be back home.

Great looking fish! Great photos John!

Thanks John,

Looks like some nice fish have moved into the Delta......

Very effective looking fly too.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Beautiful stripers!

J - I am going up to Oregon for a few days and the river levels look good for swinging so I am going to give it a try. I doubt there will be fish around but you never know. At the least I should have the river to myself. I thought you might be interested since that is your game.

The swing life involves looking cool and never catching fish, but sometimes you do and you can feel more accomplished than everyone else. then you go back to not catching anything for a few months

I got a swing fish in January this year. If I could pull out a miracle swinger this month that would be quite a bookend for the year. I have almost perfected the never catching fish part but I need to work on the looking cool part. Mostly I look like I recently took up swinging and could use some help with my casting.

Nice John good luck up in OR. Hope you post some nice steelhead photos when you return! This post inspired me to go striper fishing on the napa this weekend.
    Lucas your comment made me chuckle, know it was tongue and cheek but i will say that There are plenty of fish to get on the swing, shad of course, River smallmouth, yuba trout really love chasing swung flies, Lower sac, klamath and trinity in fall etc. hat creek can be a great place for swinging soft hackles. The winter fish are notoriously difficult on the swing but still lots of very slow days for gear anglers in drift boats

Quote Originally Posted by Jcolin View Post
    Nice John good luck up in OR. Hope you post some nice steelhead photos when you return! This post inspired me to go striper fishing on the napa this weekend.
    Lucas your comment made me chuckle, know it was tongue and cheek but i will say that There are plenty of fish to get on the swing, shad of course, River smallmouth, yuba trout really love chasing swung flies, Lower sac, klamath and trinity in fall etc. hat creek can be a great place for swinging soft hackles. The winter fish are notoriously difficult on the swing but still lots of very slow days for gear anglers in drift boats
    Glad to see humor is not dead. I actually catch quite the many fish swinging, just In a slump this past month in a half, not a single trout or steelhead in that period of time over 8 outings, so humor keeps me from going nuts.

I need to go to the Napa River. It is an hour from my house which is about what most boat ramps in the Delta are. Seems like I would somehow get stuck in traffic but maybe not. I heard an interview with a guide there but I can’t remember his name. He said there is about 35 miles of river and fish move between the river and the bay so you never know what you are going to find. It can fish more like an extension of the bay than a resident fishery. I also heard there are cuts like in the Delta that have tidal currents and are good spots to look for fish. New water is always interesting.