Thread: Whitefish vs Missoula

Default Whitefish vs Missoula

I planning to visit Glacier National Park next year the first week of July. I can fly into either Whitefish (closer) or Missoula. I will probably have a day or two to fish depending upon the itinerary my wife draws up.

That being said, should I look to fish one area over the other or just book my airfare on whatÂ’s easier?

Thx.

My friend in Missoula said that Missoula would be a far better choice for fly fishing.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Depends what you truly intend to accomplish on the fishing front. MSO has better options and could keep you busy for weeks. But FCA has fine options for a couple of days and will stretch your string too.

If you have time, desire, passport, and a vax card, Fernie BC is only two hours from FCA and the fishing is great. Early July might be a bit too early though, pending the snow pack.

Quote Originally Posted by arbolado View Post
    I planning to visit Glacier National Park next year the first week of July. I can fly into either Whitefish (closer) or Missoula. I will probably have a day or two to fish depending upon the itinerary my wife draws up.

That being said, should I look to fish one area over the other or just book my airfare on whatÂ’s easier?

Thx.
    Are you traveling to fish or traveling and carrying a fly rod? Missoula has better fishing opportunities but the west side of GNP is stunningly beautiful. July is the wrong season for the Flathead unless you really like very small rainbows. Fall is Flathead season.

Best bet is Missoula with Rock Creek , East and West forks of the Bitterroot , may still find salmonflys . Mike