Thread: Trip report from last weekend near Burney

Default Trip report from last weekend near Burney

Went up north last weekend and was planning on fishing most of the rivers in the Burney/Redding area.... but the McCloud, lower Sac and Pit were all blown out

Instead I fished Hat creek on Friday morning, and there was a nice Baetis hatch, but I realized I left my Baetis dries at home...

After an hour or two at Hat creek, I went over to Baum lake to see if I could hook into any of the megabows I've heard live there... no big ones, but there was a Callibaetis hatch going on, and I got one fish on the dry before heading to a local Forebay to see if I could get any of the monsters that supposedly live in there... I got several fish on the midge, but nothing huge, and nothing on the streamer. Also talked with two other fly guys I met, and the one guy had seen an 18" Brookie caught the day before. After about an hour, the bite tapered off, so I headed back down to the inflow of Hat creek to Baum lake, where I was hoping to get some big ones, but I couldn't keep the smaller ones (12-16 inches, so not bad) off my line... in the end it was a quantity over quality day, with about 25 trout landed, and I'm sure I could have gotten a lot more if I wasn't experimenting with different flies. All in all it was a pretty good day

NK

Nice trip report. Too bad the Pit was blown, you would have
    crushed it this time of year. But a bunch of 12-16” is awesome.
    I’ve tried Baum once to no avail but seen pics of some big boys.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by EricO View Post
    Nice trip report. Too bad the Pit was blown, you would have
    crushed it this time of year. But a bunch of 12-16” is awesome.
    I’ve tried Baum once to no avail but seen pics of some big boys.

Eric
    In Baum lake your best friend is a balanced leech.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.

nice trip report.