Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Close encounter on the AR

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Buzolich View Post
    Ryan,

It sounds to me like you're pushing your luck knowing the crime element and still trying to enjoy a few hours on the water.
    And what about your kids if there was a real problem to happen?
    That photo of the car and licence should be sent in to the Park Rangers and maybe a few other guys will start doing the same putting out a notice of suspicion for the area.
    You're right Tony. I'm definitely going to avoid certain accesses from now on at the very least. I've fished the river for years and although I had heard all the stories, it wasn't until recently that I had experienced anything like this myself. guess it was just a matter of time. I will definitely make sure to report the license plate number to the park rangers like u suggested.

Sadly, this has become far too common in this state with all the homeless and tweakers. The Russian, Yuba, Feather, American, Sac, Truckee, Klamath, and others...too many low-lifes looking to break into unattended vehicles. I now limit where I fish and only take what I can carry after thieves broke into my truck and took my Abel bag with several boxes containing thousands of flies I had tied or purchased over decades. It took me years to get my fly boxes back in good shape and I don't want to go through that again. I suspect they thought it was a camera bag because they left Sage and Loomis rods and a Galvan reel untouched...and my flies, lines, and reels probably ended up in a dumpster or river bank somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanv829 View Post
    You're right Tony. I'm definitely going to avoid certain accesses from now on at the very least. I've fished the river for years and although I had heard all the stories, it wasn't until recently that I had experienced anything like this myself. guess it was just a matter of time. I will definitely make sure to report the license plate number to the park rangers like u suggested.
    If you report license plate to the police, id hope that theyd show up at that lowlife’s house where theres likely stolen goods. Dont know if they can get a search warrant based on your encounter alone however.

The challenge is getting the police to care. CA prosecutors are not interested in most low-level property crimes so the police won't investigate them. When my truck was broken into they couldn't be bothered and I had to press them just to get an incident report

If they are stealing catalytic converters, which is very likely, they may stoke some interest but the police will need probable cause to get a warrant. A photo of a license plate is not enough. I had a license plate photo from a hit-and-run on the freeway but the police were not interested, saying they didn't see the accident and they don't know who was driving the vehicle. Frustrating

That upper watt access point used to be a hang out for gay men to hook up. It was on Craigslist for a gay hook up spot, so my retired ranger friend told me. The Rangers actually did a sting operation down there and one of the rangers got groped. I’ve witnessed some weird shit going on down in the bushes while fishing, even had a guy come out of the bushes rubbing himself looking at me when I was standing there in long Johns after pulling my waders off, WTF you doing dude!!! Just wish I had some nitrile gloves on to protect my fists if he got any closer. When you drive in there it’s always dudes staring at you when driving by… creepy!
    Last edited by Mark Kranhold; 11-05-2021 at 04:42 PM.

I've fished Watt access about 3 times this year, and each has had suspect situations. I think it's telling that the intersection right outside of the entrance has a "Shots Fired" camera that is operative in the evening hours. It's really sad because not too long ago, I used to work for F+G and I worked on the river. There were some homeless, then, but nothing like now. And the parking lots are spawning pools for nefarious activity. I see at least two or three cars parked that are occupied with questionable people doing even more questionable activity. It's basically turned me off of the river, like Lance Gray mentioned.

Not all of the people committing crimes are 'tweakers'. Methamphetamine is a hell of a drug, and it's rampant right now, but a lot of crime comes from people you'd never guess. And there's a lot of organized crime pushing it forward. I think you were wise to be mindful of the guy casing your car. His ethnic background aside, you were smart to trust your instinct and to not give them time to punch out your windows or saw off your catalytic converter. If you were driving a Prius, that thing is like gold to those thieves. They have two!

Hopefully something changes. Thank goodness the American has garbage conditions, otherwise I'd be much more drawn to take chances and to try fishing out there more often.

Haha...I had the exact same experience years ago while fishing the Russian above Wohler Bridge. I didn't know at the time the old parking area below Wohler was a gay hook-up spot but I was creeped out by all the men I saw loitering cars. When I told my buddy a few days later, he laughed and told me the background of the spot. The guys kept to themselves and never bothered or approached me, but I heard stories of guys getting hit on and propositioned. I don't know if the stories are true or not. The parking area is now blocked off so the loitering is largely gone now and I haven't seen them in awhile.

yeah, but first statement was

The first thing I noticed was this russian guy walking up and down the access road where my car was parked, over and over.

Just saying...

One morning Andy G and I founded a 357 revolver somebody had tossed off the bridge and missed the water. It was just laying on the rocks. Kinda when things started going downhill there.

As bent as the Soviet sickle and hard as the hammer that crosses it. Better steer clear.